Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting with arthritis? >

Quilting with arthritis?

Quilting with arthritis?

Old 11-16-2010, 12:56 PM

I'm 48 and have arthritis in my hands. I bowl twice a week and that puts a big strain on them, but I've also been a needlepointer/cross stitcher for 25 years so that doesn't help either.

I put down the sewing needle and took up quilting because you tend to not use those pinching fingers as much quilting as you do cross stitching or needlepointing.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:39 PM

Jamiestitcher62, try the sink dip as suggested by another quilter on the advice of her physical therapist. Others on this site have been kind enough to offer their suggestions as well. Take care. Here's wishing you well.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:33 PM

o
Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Originally Posted by buckeye78girl
Thanks to all who've given advice.
Thanks from me also.

I don't have any problems with my hands for quilting, cutting, sewing, etc. because my arthritis is most advanced in my left knee. The problem I have is that I can't sit in one spot for too long or my leg swells. I try to get up every once in awhile to press seams, etc. but there are times I get so intent on sewing that I forget to get up often enough. When that happens my knee sort of locks and I have to walk back and forth for a few mintues to limber up. Growing old can be a pain in the butt but it's better than the alternative. May in Jersey
i have it under my kneecaps so i just get injections today went to dr. and got one in hip it was waking me up . nomater how much i hurt or can't breath i still do something even if is just antiquen sp? just so i get out
Old 11-16-2010, 03:40 PM

I have arthritis in my wrist and fingers too, but my wrist is almost non-bendable. I have trouble hand sewing, and have problems threading the sewing machine, changing needles etc. because my wrist doesn't bend. That's why I got the top-of-the-line vikings, built-in needle threader, auto presser foot drop and lift, and push button thread cutter. One day I complained to my doctor that knitting and sewing were becoming difficult to do. His reply was, "Then maybe you ought not to be doing that any more." My reply was, "Well, that's not going to happen." I think of sewing and knitting as my therapy; both physical and mental. I have my favorite tools that work for me.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:31 PM

Gran of 6,
YOU GO GIRL!!!!! Kudos to you. NEVER go down without fighting!!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by buckeye78girl
Gran of 6,
YOU GO GIRL!!!!! Kudos to you. NEVER go down without fighting!!
Thanks. I also have arthritis of the spine and take medication. I find if I lay down and rest my back for a 1/2 hour midday it helps a lot. It's not going to hold me back.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:44 PM

I have OA too and have to take Motrin most every day. 600mg so I can function. I have heard mixed reports on the Glucosomine/condrotin - didn't work for me. I take a lot of fish oil for my heart/cholesterol...haven't seen any improvement in the OA. I think it just depends on your own body. Try everything before pain meds.
God bless!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:48 PM

I have arthritis, too, and had to give up crocheting. I started quilting, because my sewing machine does most of the work. I take glucosamine, chondroitin, and just started taking hyaluronic acid, too. I started taking that because of the arthritis in my knees, but it will work wherever you have joints. So far, my quilting has not been a problem, unless I try to quilt all day, every day! :lol:
Old 11-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

I'm right handed but have more problems with my left hand, using it to hold the ruler when cutting with my hand spread out and holding the binding to sew it onto a quilt and also spreading my hands while wearing gloves with rubber nubs when machine quilting. I also have it in my left foot. I plan on making quilt as long as I can breathe. My knuckles got bigger several years ago and I had to buy a wedding ring 2 sizes larger than I use to wear.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:00 AM

I have OA in my lower back, right knee and carpal tunnel in both wrists. All of you are so positive, it really helps me. I get injections, take meds and try whatever to feel better. My biggest worry is I have to keep working for 5 more years and I'm a pet groomer and it's hard on the body, but I take it one day at a time now. It was last Jan. I was off work after having toe surgery (OA in my big toe too) and I found this board and you all have saved my sanity. I had stopped quilting about 8 years ago, you all inspired me to get my quilting stuff out of storage, during my time off, I turned my spare room into a sewing room and finished a UFO and have been quilting ever since. My point is, checking this board, getting back into quilting, buying and trading here has taken my mind off my aches and pains. I can come here, when everything around me is stressful and crazy and my body is hurting and relax and read positive things. Thank you all.