Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I got a new sewing machine :) Brother SQ-9000 >

I got a new sewing machine :) Brother SQ-9000

I got a new sewing machine :) Brother SQ-9000

Old 11-16-2010, 07:58 AM

Dingle..thanks for the answer about the stipple stitch...I figured it could be sized...now for the next question...
Has anyone tried free motion quilting without the foot pedal? Just the start/stop button? Does the start /stop button act as a stitch regulator with the feed dogs down?
Can you even drop the feed dogs on this machine? That's one thing I haven't heard mentioned? Thanks...Donna
Old 11-16-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350
Dingle..thanks for the answer about the stipple stitch...I figured it could be sized...now for the next question...
Has anyone tried free motion quilting without the foot pedal? Just the start/stop button? Does the start /stop button act as a stitch regulator with the feed dogs down?
Can you even drop the feed dogs on this machine? That's one thing I haven't heard mentioned? Thanks...Donna
Yes, there is a switch on the back of the machine that drops the feed dogs. I have not tried it yet, has anyone else???
Old 11-16-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG
Originally Posted by Dingle
Originally Posted by donna13350
I have been looking at that very machine myself, because it is supposed to work without the foot pedal! The box says that you can disconnect the foot pedal and just use the start/stop button...I was trying to get info on free motion quilting...wondering if it would work as a stitch regulator if you dropped the feed dogs?
That machine also has a built in stipple stitch, and I would love to have that!
Congrats on your machine...Donna
The Stipple stich you are talking about on this machine is very small. I think you would use it more for decoration and not quilting. What do the others think who have this machine?
I have the XR-9000 and actually you can change the length and width of the stipple stitch and it will be much larger. I have had my machine for only a few months, but am loving it. I ordered the 1/4" foot and it is really accurate for piecing. I have not tried the push button mechanism yet, will have to do that, as all of you say you like it. I really like the hand-look quilting stitch too. Enjoy your new machine.
Thanks for letting me know. I'll give it a shot.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:52 AM

I am happy for you, some decisions are hard to make when you don't have the finances. glad you found one within your budget! I too am looking at buying a new machine, I have had a brother for a long time and have enjoyed it. Let us know how you like it as you pusue your sewing projects, won't you? I am interested in hearing from someone first hand. Thanks and have fun!
Old 11-16-2010, 01:59 PM

I fm without the foot pedal. I set the speed control on the front and off I go.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:17 PM

I have a Brother also and I love it. It is about 2 years old and I'm sure yours has more stitches on it but they are wonderful sturdy sewing machines. Enjoy and happy stitching.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:09 PM

I just bought the same machine & hoping it will do me for quilting. My budget was also tight, I figured it was better than nothing.I will use it to make sure everything works and than I have to pack it up for my xmas gift.
I was sure glad to hear there were some people out there who own it &like it.
Congrats on your new machine
Janice Efron
Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 PM

I have the brother NX 650. It is the low end QUILTING machine. It has a few more stitches than yours, but it is essentially the same. Whoopee for us! Enjoy your new baby. My old Brother machine is Patsy, and I was thinking of Pearl for the new one! If 'they' can name the Featherweights (old toys),and LAQ's, I can name my new toys. :thumbup: P.S. If your old machine was a Brother, all of the attachments are interchangeable! Bonus!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:16 AM

Good to know about the attachments from my other brothers will fit the new one. Thank you for information, appreicated Janice
Old 11-17-2010, 10:42 AM

What kind of special quilting stitches does it have? Do you embroider them on or are they stipple stitches. I have the Brother Innovis 4000 and have a couple of stippling stitches, but I paid alot of money for mine. Thanks