Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rice bags >

Rice bags

Rice bags

Old 11-17-2010, 06:27 AM

I have one, for pain therapy, I bought several years ago at a natural food store. It is 5" x 12" (appx) the cover is either hemp or linen I can't recall which, it is soft. It has rice filling, and the instructions were to microwave 2 min. It can also be put in the freezer for cold therapy. I like the additional ideas here-both how to make them, and other ways these hand bags can be made.
I have seen smaller ones for eyes with flax seeds, and silk fabric.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:39 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by Margie
I have never made the rice bags(heated in microwave) used to keep foods hot to take along .
Do you just use cotton fabric and fill with dry rice?

I am wondering if you could make them to fit under dishes when you serve buffet style so the food will stay hot?

Has anyone made them?? If so, how long do you heat them up in microwave??

Lots of questions here :)
Yes, you can use cotton fabric.

If you are using them in place of a personal heating pad, cotton flannel is much nicer.

I actually do them in a muslin liner bag that is sectioned to keep the rice in place. Then I make a cover out of prettier stuff, similar to a pillow sham. With overlapping edges near the end of one side. This makes it so that you can wash the cover if it gets dirty.

For keeping casseroles, rolls, etc, warm, I have made a number of them by making patterns from the bottoms and tops of my casserole dishes. You don't have to section these if you don't want to. I do put covers on these because of spills. I also make a rectangular one that has velcro on the ends to wrap around the casserole dish. My sister made a bag with pockets to put her rice bags in to surround her casserole dish.

When heating them, start out with 30 seconds. Each microwave is soooooooooo different, and yes, the rice will catch on fire, as will the fabric. Yes, the voice of experience. On average it takes 1-2 minutes, depending on the size of the bag and the quantity of rice. Make sure to not overfill.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:42 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by AnnT
For bread basket warmers, I've made some using unglazed tiles. Just made a fabric envelope to fit the size tile I used and then heat the tile in the oven (never tried the microwave) and put it in its envelope and put that in the bottom of bread basket under the basket liner.
Whatever you do, don't try the microwave. Many clays have metals in their mineral content. Not a pretty picture. Well, actually, the sparks are kind of pretty(LOL), but it usually ends in having to buy a new microwave. And sometimes worse.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:49 AM

I've made many for sale at craft sales and use cotton, lined with warm and natural then fill half full of dry rice. Depending on how hot you want it, anywhere from 1 - 2 minutes heats it up perfectly. They also stay in the freezer forever without losing their flexibility since there is nothing wet to freeze. Perfect for an ice pack. The warm and natural adds to the insulation keeping the cold or hot longer and adds softness so the rice isn't lumpy.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 AM

I fill my bags with corn feed from the pet store. It gives off a wonderful corny smell and never lumps. I make mine out of duck fabric and then make a flannel cover for washing purposes and to feel good on the skin. My bags are approximately 9" by 13" and take approximately 5 cups of corn. Heated at about 3 minutes. Try first and then adjust. All microwaves are not the same.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:18 AM

I have a rice bag that is in the shape of a heart that I use for my sinus headaches. Pop it in the microwave for a minute and place the lobes of the heart over my sinuses. It is the only thing I have found that gives me relief. I also have some herb packets that I use with them, they don't go in the microwave. The herbs are suppose to help relax you and they smell wonderful.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:25 AM

I make them out of pieces of old blue jeans and fill them with dry rice. 30 seconds in the microwave and they are very hot.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:36 AM

There are some great ideas here. I have the pyrex to go casserole carrier with the heat pad but I'm going to try some of these for on the table trivets.

I had a bread basket that came with a marble block in the bottom, the block could be put in the oven and then put in the bottom of the basket to keep the rolls/bread warm.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:37 AM

You can also sprinkle a few drops of your favorite essential oil onto your filler--cinnamon oil, etc, for a wonderful scent. Get them at many hobby, craft, drug stores.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:26 AM

I use mens socks tube socks and tie a knot in the end work great