Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
washing fabric >

washing fabric

washing fabric

Old 11-17-2010, 01:39 PM

I know a lot of people use special quilting laundry soap for washing their quilts, but I wash with normal everyday laundry detergent ecause that is what the recipient of the quilt is actually going to do with it.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by quilterella
Many wash their fabric as soon as they get home with laundry detergent, dry it , iron it and put it away. That way it is ready to use when you want it. Personally, I don't prewash because I'm too lazy and so far I have never had a problem with shrinkage or colours bleeding.
Thank you, thank you. I only prewash once in a while and have seldom had a problem either. I also am too lazy to wash everything.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:36 PM

I've always washed any fabric that I sew with, though I seem to do differently to everyone else.

All I do is soak in the wash tub with warm water for maybe 1/2 hour, no soap or anything else, then just dry in the shade.

I've always been told why wash when it's not dirty, just soak in water for shrinkage!
Old 11-17-2010, 03:23 PM

Once upon a time I laundered every piece of fabric before I put it away. No matter what I paid for it, it raveled and all those loose threads drove me wild. So, I started putting the fabric away as soon as I got home and never had any trouble at all, no matter what I paid for it or where I got it.

I made a quilt for wounded soldiers two or three years ago and the requirement was that the finished quilt had to be laundered.
No problem with the red, white and blue fabric.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with and have time for. froggyintexas
Old 11-17-2010, 03:37 PM

I wash and here is one of the reasons why. Yesterday I used a coupon to purchase 10 yds of perma press all cotton muslin, great dealas it came to $1.00 per yard, however the formaldehyde smell was so strong I had to wash before using, didn't want to since I didn't want to cut the 10 yds, but it was too much to handle later after washing and drying, but the odor just about drove me out of my sewing room.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 PM

Ditto this for me.
Originally Posted by deema
Sometimes...?

I wash if it's a fabric likely to bleed or shrink. Flannel ALWAYS gets washed, sometimes more than once. If I intend to use a white/light fabric with darks, I'll wash it. If I wash one fabric, I wash all fabs for the same quilt. I'm leaning more towards washing than not, lately, but I used to not wash anything.

I will, because of my latest batting fiasco, be pre-shrinking my batting from now on.

I wash with detergent, but not fabric softener or dryer sheets.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:25 PM

I always pre-wash. I put it in a small laundry with a Color Catcher and then just throw th whole bag in the dryer. I am surprised all with all the dyes in the color catcher. I also heard (I think on this board) that there are chemicals that manufacturers add to fabrics such as fornaldehyde and I don't want that in my quilts. It means I have to iron it but I think it's worth it.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:50 PM

I don't wash my fabric until the quilt is finished ( sometimes not even then, if it goes on a wall). That way, the batting and material are easily washed together. Less fuss, less hassle, less work in my opinion. I have never had a problem with bleeding of fabric, but don't usually buy the stuff that I think might do it.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
I wash and here is one of the reasons why. Yesterday I used a coupon to purchase 10 yds of perma press all cotton muslin, great dealas it came to $1.00 per yard, however the formaldehyde smell was so strong I had to wash before using, didn't want to since I didn't want to cut the 10 yds, but it was too much to handle later after washing and drying, but the odor just about drove me out of my sewing room.
Hope your skin did not suffer from the handling of material like that. I always make sure new clothes (made in China) are washed for that reason.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by MZStitch
I always wash, and yep, I use detergent. I do not, however, use fabric softener as some iron on products don't adhere well to fabrics that have fabric softener on them.
This is me, too. Although I don't use much laundry soap, just a dab to get the chemicals out of the fabric. I don't iron it until I'm ready to cut.