Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What did you do with your wedding dress? >

What did you do with your wedding dress?

What did you do with your wedding dress?

Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by earthwalker
I have two :oops: . The first is a pretty simple white dress, knee length with a little lace edge jacket...not really suitable to cut up as it is such light material, this is in a calico bag in the bottom of my wardrobe. My second is a stunning, long, off the shoulder dress with a beautiful bodice and is a lovely shade of purple....has a veil, with flowers and I had the shoes covered in fabric to compliment the dress, this is stored on my shelf in the bridal shop box wrapped in acid proof paper. I wouldn't cut this up for the world.

Problem is...I only have sons (mine and steps), so maybe I'll have to wait 'til I have a grand daughter!

I do have a matron-of-honour dress, that was made for me when I attended my ex-SIL's wedding....beautiful rose taffetta....(horrible 80's milkmaid design)....I see a quilt in it's future...maybe divided between two....Though I haven't seen her for years - I could maybe send it to her, if it ever gets off the "to do list" - she's still married to the same guy - so it might be a nice thing to have?...
Maybe one of your future DILs will want to wear it.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by tuesy
Mine was in my Ex's attic until he met the *&@$ and when they got married she wore MY wedding dress.
Totally ruined it for my DD, so when I did get it back I gave it away!!
Why would she want to do that in the first place? Did she think it made her really take your replacement if she wore the same thing you did? Totally mental, if you asked me. I made my DH get rid of the waterbed he had sowed his bachelor oats in when we started getting serious. There was no way I wanted to sleep were some other girl had before me. Maybe I am just that way about things.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I made mine. It's crunched into a ball in a garbage bag, stuffed in the attic.
That sounds like my SIL's. She paid like $600 for it.
Mine is folded in a plastic bag in the cedar chest. My mom made it! Now my grandmothers...was crushed velvet and after that long was an ivory color. My mom made a baptismal outfit for my oldest son out of the train. He was so slippery, we were all afraid of dropping him! LOL!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:29 AM

My daughter had a beautiful gown and the train was all battenburg lace cut outs. She made a card bag, ring bearer's pillow and garters for her two daughters. She has loaned out the first two items to friends getting married. I thought it was a great idea, although the idea of Christening gowns is fabulous! She had enough fabric to do all of that : )
Old 11-18-2010, 12:27 PM

My dress is still hanging in the closet and always will be :) However, now that I have read this thread - perhaps those bridesmaids dresses I was going to get rid of, won't be going after all. I love the colors of all of them soooo..............onto the "chopping block" they will go :)
Old 11-18-2010, 12:28 PM

I made my own wedding dress, back 40 years ago. It cost me all of about $22 to make. Wow, fabric was sure a lot cheaper back then!

It is still in a spare bedroom closet. I haven't done anything with it yet, but I may repurpose the fabric someday! That sounds like a great idea.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:17 PM

When I left after 25 yrs. I took what I wanted (hired a moving van). Completely forgot the dress. Got divorced after 40yrs. all I wanted was that dress (and of course-the money). Well , when I opened the suitcase the dress was totally disintegrated.

It was strapless but had a little jacket that had buttons down the back. It was all we could afford. He paid for it.

I am happy where I am in my life.
Quilter68 who is now 69
P.S. I forgot, I took my niece's dress apart and made a christening gown from it. It is beautiful.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:44 PM

First marriage (in the 70s) was officiated by a judge at city hall and was a very simple affair. I didn't even own a dress at the time, so buying a simple street length dress for the occasion was very fancy for me. Have no idea what happened to it...

For second marriage (11 years ago), wore a beautiful beaded lace ivory dress that I love--princess seams, with a high neck, 3/4 sleeves, and tea length. It still fits, so I don't know if I'll repurpose it or not (although I do like the idea...)
Old 11-18-2010, 01:47 PM

After 20 years of hanging in the closet I made an angel for the top of my christmas tree. Makes me happy every year to put it on the tree. Have some fabric left will make angels or something for children some day.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:17 PM

i know i'm old & old fashioned
but i am so tired of the bare tops & short skirts & pants that shows their cracks when they bend over
i think the wedding dresses made in the long years ago were much prettier