Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone own this machine? >

Anyone own this machine?

Anyone own this machine?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:58 AM

I have one that is almost the same. It has 70 stitches, but does essentially the same work. My sister bought it for me. I was honestly a little wary; it seemed so lightweight, and it is computerized. But I've grown very fond of it! For the price, I've found mine to be a great machine. I won't get rid of my 30-year-old machine or my treadle, but I'm keeping my Brother, too! (Does that make me my Brother's keeper?)
Old 11-18-2010, 05:20 PM

Was reluctant at first, because of the price. I have a Viking and a singer, and both do some things well, but I bought this one, mostly for machine quilting, which the other 2 do not work so well. I LOVE love love this machine. It may not last a really long time, but the price was right and I have had nothing but good luck with it.. It makes me SMILE..
Old 11-18-2010, 06:21 PM

I do have this machine and I do really like it. Only thing is that it isn't very big for acutally quilting. I do use it for going to retreats though! Nice light weight and I think just perfect.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:44 PM

Is your $7000 machine a Bernina 820? I was stupid enough to buy one. I should have known better than to buy a 'new model' before all of the kinks are worked out. I've had it back to the dealer numerous times for adjustments. I bought it to use on the Bernina quilting frame. I wish had spent more and got a longarm. This model does a lot but it is a MAJOR problem to thread the bobbin! However, my Bernina 440QE is great.

Anyone else had problems with the 820?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:38 PM

In a machine you get what you pay for like a car. Years ago I spent $1,000.00 dollars for a Pfaff, it has been a wonderful machine but I finally have wore it out and Pfaff no longer makes the machines. Today I am saving for a Bernina 730, of course my Dream Machine is is the 830, but a lot more money.... who knows maybe one day soon I will own one.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by JADE D
Is your $7000 machine a Bernina 820? I was stupid enough to buy one. I should have known better than to buy a 'new model' before all of the kinks are worked out. I've had it back to the dealer numerous times for adjustments. I bought it to use on the Bernina quilting frame. I wish had spent more and got a longarm. This model does a lot but it is a MAJOR problem to thread the bobbin! However, my Bernina 440QE is great.

Anyone else had problems with the 820?
I wish I had your machine! once you learn to thread it, that machine is a dream to sew on. I like to do free motion quilting and that machine is wonderful to use. My girl friend is a Bernina tech and I have learned so much from her just sitting in and listening to her teach new owners how to use their machines. Breath relax and let the zen take over bond with your machine. The problem with a long arm is you have to stand their and run the machine for older individuals and people with back problems I would not recommend one check out throughly before you get one.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Dee

I have this machine and love it. Its actually my favorite.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by roserips
In a machine you get what you pay for like a car. Years ago I spent $1,000.00 dollars for a Pfaff, it has been a wonderful machine but I finally have wore it out and Pfaff no longer makes the machines. Today I am saving for a Bernina 730, of course my Dream Machine is is the 830, but a lot more money.... who knows maybe one day soon I will own one.
I buy what I can afford.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:33 AM

I have one & I love it for piecing. Also for traveling because it is light. It isn't very handy though for quilting. Not much throat room
Old 11-19-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by roserips
I have come to feel that if you buy a very expensive piece of equipment (sewing machine, car, etc.) that lasts for 20 years - you will miss out on the new technology that's developed in the next 20 years. I had an expensive machine many many years ago, but it didn't have needle-down, push button start and stop, etc. I would prefer to buy a reasonably priced machine that will do a great job for the next five years, and then have the ability to buy an new machine with new technology IF I choose to do so without feeling like I HAVE to use the old machine for 20 years because I paid so much for it.

And another thing ( I really don't have my boxing gloves on!) an expensive car doesn't guarantee better reliability. I had a Jaguar that drained my little wallet so badly that it only was driven for 18 months before it went on to it's new home. My little Toyota, on the other hand, has been taking me everywhere I need to go with no breakdowns for the past five years.

Bottom line - we all have to manage to our own budget and choose what we are comfortable with.