Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accu Quilt go >

Accu Quilt go

Accu Quilt go

Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 AM

I love mine too, just wish I had more time to use it. I got a bunch of dies off ebay, cheap.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:28 AM

I bought mine off Amazon through Fabric Hut (as the merchant) for around $210. They are frequently around that price (usually up to $230 with Fabric Hut) on Amazon. I have used the sample die (two squares and half square triangles), but I don't like having all the shapes on one die necessarily.

Unless you want a lot of fabric waste, you have to cut the fabric down to just a little larger than the die shape you're cutting, so I have decided that I will just use my rotary cutter for squares and rectangles. I'm going to have to cut the fabric to pretty much the die size anyway, so why not just do it from the beginning.

However, for odd shapes, like tumblers, hexies, circles, I think it's a great tool for consistent cutting so you always have the right size. I think they have some really neat applique dies as well. I also have the strip cutters high on my wish list because I HATE cutting longish strips for binding and jelly roll/honeybun quilts, and I think this will make that a more endurable process.

I've cut my fingertip and had a couple of close calls with my rotary cutter...and I can't hold a ruler straight and still to save my life, so I really like the ease and accuracy of the Accuquilt. It also keeps my fingers out of the blades too, which is an added plus.

I do think it's a matter of personal preference. If you're doing high volume cutting, or have hand/wrist problems that make rotary cutting more than a minor pain, it's quite possibly a great tool. If you can't stand the thought of fabric waste, proceed with caution. I'm planning on using all my scrappy pieces for stringy quilts, mug rugs and mini-quilts though, so "waste" is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:50 PM

After speaking with a personal professional quilter who is friends with another professional quilter, I placed my order for an AccuQuilt Go. Thought about the studio one but it is not portable enough for me and I could not justify all the dies that come with it. Specifically, I am looking to ease my rotary cutting of strips for charity quilts. And while I have arthritis, it is my belief I can cut four fabrics at a time (rather than up to six as demonstrated) and the turn will be easier on me than pushing down upon a rotary cutter. Plus just think of my Guild members who will come visiting with a yard or two of their fabric under their arms. :) I will gladly share.

So, hopefully, Santa Claus will be arriving by Thanksgiving this year. I will have to open my billfold for the strip die however to the tune of $70Plus. Yipes, that is how AccuQuilt makes their profits--they know we quilters will want special cuts.

A hint given to me by one quilter was when cutting scraps over one small area of large die, be sure to start cranking the die plate at a slight angle. Not sure what that means--perhaps if die is not completely full with fabric, then the die might slip if insert tried pulling-pushing on a straight line. Hum-m, I will have to keep you posted when I get it.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:58 PM

PS: My basic Go will cost $299 from Missouri Sewing Machine Center while JoAnns is listed at $349. A lot of times JoAnns coupons will not apply to something like this. I do not shop JoAnn shops anymore since the one 20 miles away is not personable and their fabrics cause my fingers to crack and it tends to lose a lot of color after washing.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:15 PM

I love mine and wouldn't be without it anymore. Cutting time is cut down by almost 50%, in my opinion. I love it!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lukayna
I bought mine off Amazon through Fabric Hut (as the merchant) for around $210. They are frequently around that price (usually up to $230 with Fabric Hut) on Amazon. I have used the sample die (two squares and half square triangles), but I don't like having all the shapes on one die necessarily.

These are the same people that I bought mine from for $215 with free shipping on ebay. Very nice people to deal with!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:14 PM

I love my GO! I have several dies-love them too! I like to cut out a quilt top very quickly. I can cut one out in a very short amount of time (under an hour) throw it in the sewing bag and head out the door to sewing group with a project to work on!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:02 AM

My DH insisted on buying one for me. I'ts great for cutting the 2 1/2" strips. Less than 1/4" scrap on sides and the strips are perfect. Plan to use birthday and mothers' day money to buy more dies. So far that's the only die I have except for the one that came with the cutter. Haven't had a chance to use that one yet since I'm only on my second quilt.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:13 AM

It is supposed to cut the triangle corners off. When you put them together, you will not have those annoying little 'ears' to cut off!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:31 AM

You waste quite a bit of fabric and you have to have the different size dies to cut different size squares/triangles/etc.