Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how do you store yours? >

how do you store yours?

how do you store yours?

Old 11-19-2010, 04:46 PM

I have tons of drawers with spools of thread standing in them. They are colour - coordinated and thread - typed. I got the cabinets at a tool supply shop. They were supposed to be for car parts, nuts and bolts etc. Also do the same with a mechanic's tool box for my sewing machine feet.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:47 PM

i store my thread on thread racks (purchased at JoAnn's with a 50% coupon) attatched to the wall.
I put clear plastic over them to keep them clean. Since the pegs are short, I cut straws, fit them over so I can put my bobbins on the top of the thread. It really works well and I can see immediately what I have. Extras are in drawer. I keep all of the embroidery thread on a rack , cottons on a rack and the regular sewing thread on a rack.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by oatw13
I bought my thread boxes at Walmart in the toy department. If you look with the Hot Wheels and other toy cars, usually on the bottom shelf, you will find double sided, clear plastic cases. They have dividers to hold toy cars - they are also the perfect size for threads! And, only $6 each! Similar "thread" boxes in the fabric department are $20 on up!

:)
I'll look there next. I agree, anything that has 'art' or 'sew' written on it is 5 times the price. That is why i go to the hardware shop and get tool boxes or tackle boxes.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
Mine are in one of those Sulky plastic carriers. They are about $30 at JoAnn's from what I remember.

I also purchased a pattern for a wall hanging that holds thread from a quilt show in PA. Haven't made it yet. One day.........
I'd like to see a picture of your wall hanging when you get it made. It sounds like a good idea!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

http://www.sulky.com/slimline/index_slimline.php
this is what i use mostly. took my threads down off the wall except for some hand quilting ones i still have.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:46 PM

I purchased a 6 tier cart on rollers and have labeled the drawers by colors --I keep all of my machine needles in the top drawer along with a needle chart. The white and off-white threads along with the black and greys are kept together; yellows, golds and browns; reds, oranges and pinks; blues, purples and greens. Works great for me. My bobbins are kept in a round, doughnut type thing that came from the dollar store. It has 5 "doughnuts" and each has 5 compartment. I have 3 machines and it works well -- 2 for each of the more used ones and 1 for the extra machine.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:04 PM

i store mine in plastic see thru bins that are stacked according to color
Old 11-19-2010, 08:16 PM

I store my regular 'ol C&C by color in zip bags and put them in a large drawer. My nicer threads are stored in small drawers in units that sit on top of my sewing workstation. :wink:
Old 11-19-2010, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Riversong
Look at Walmart in the fishing tackle aisle. I got some neat clear boxes there with compartments for my bobbins for less than $3.They had a lot of styles and sizes,so you might find one great for thread.
Wow, thanks for sharing this great tip. I'm going to check that out for myself.
:lol: :-P :D
Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 PM

I buy coupon day JoAnns the clear plastic boxes that have the spindles inside. and a cover.then I stack all of them on a counter. and label them cotton, poly, embroidery. but the rolling drawers look interesting & would hold more --just have to find floor space. I keep a lot of colors to match for quilting.