Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Help >

Applique Help

Applique Help

Old 11-20-2010, 10:09 AM

I found an applique pattern "Silent Night" on This-n-that fabrics,just wondering if anyone has made this, the instructions are kind of there, I have all the pieces ready, my question, is everything traced on to fusible web. I feel silly for asking but ya'll seem to know your stuff on this site.

Thank You for all the help
Jenni
Old 11-20-2010, 10:29 AM

I just finished mine and have not yet posted it. I used heat n bond light for my fusible web. hope this helps. PM me if you have any more questions.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

Yes, trace it on the paper side of the fusible, however, most patterns you trace the pieces upside down on the fusible to mirror image it :wink: Check your pattern for instructions for this :D:D:D
Old 11-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Banned

I bet that if you were to use a "raw-edge-appliqué" technique then you just iron on a iron-on fusible interfacing- like:
wonder-under(R) or heat and bond(R) or other brand.
Iron on your wonder under (or other stuff) to the back of your fabric you will use- trace on your pattern to the "paper-side" and then cut it out. Peel off the backing and iron into place.

Then use a satin stitch , a zig zag, or blanket stitch(my favorite)to secure the edges.

You can use a similar method but turn your edges too-
example:
1. Iron your wonder-under to the back of your fabric
2. cut out your pattern
3. Sew your 1/4 inch seam
4. Flip your piece to the back
5. turn under and carefully press the fabric using the stitch line as a guide- but you have to be very careful not to get your iron too close to the wonder-under when your are turning your edges. 9you don't want that sicky glue stuff to get onto your iron)
6. Then of course you will need to satin stitch, zigzag, or blanket stitch around all your edges.

You could also make it into a needle turn appliqué (not as easy as the iron on method) and not need to use any type of heat activated interfacing.- But I don't do that style of technique enough to help you out with that.