Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Nearly poked my eye out >

Nearly poked my eye out

Nearly poked my eye out

Old 11-20-2010, 07:13 PM

I've stabbed myself with my seam ripper...it was my finger, but still...I panicked about getting blood on my quilt.

Glad your close call turned out to be a near miss! And yes! Get a new seam ripper...or ten. LOL
Old 11-20-2010, 07:23 PM

"You'll shoot your eye out!"
Old 11-20-2010, 11:48 PM

I won't tell your husband..it's between us on this board, glad your okay
Old 11-21-2010, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
Two nights ago I was working very hard at taking some seams out - I do a lot of that, unfortunately.

I'm very nearsighted, have an astigmatism and double vision. I have to get in real close to find the threads to be cut, so I look over my glasses. The glasses are perched on the end of my nose and my eyes are 'exposed' to the world.

I was having trouble cutting through one of the stitches, so applied more than usual pressure to the seam ripper. Of course, the thread broke with the extra pressure, but then the seam ripper traveled up to just below my eyebrow before I was able to stop myself. It grazed my skin but, luckily, it didn't cut me.

Haven't told my husband about it. He thinks quilting is safe! He will never know...
I know how you felt. I had the same type of thing happen to me, except I lost my balance and went head first toward a metal hook holding some shelves. My quick reaction in shutting my eyes prevented loosing the eye. I was cut on the lower lid and bled every where until my neighbor rescued me and took me to the hospital. I had a headache for a few days and that was all. no stitches needed. Don't let your husband read this topic or he will find out.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:35 AM

We have a say like the eye have an angel which guard it
But be careful not always happy ends happens
Old 11-21-2010, 04:41 AM

Hey everybody, a little heads up. My DH sold knives for years to the grocery chains. He always said there is nothing finer than a SHARP cutter, knife or other. and nothing more dangerous than a DULL one. You've answered your own question.

With a sharp cutter, it's like going thru soft butter. With a dull one, you will ALWAYS apply more pressure. When it doesn't cut, it will slip and with the extra pressure you're applying, you can't stop the momentum before it gets YOU. Please everyone, change your dull blades. It's cheaper than bleeding all over that new fabric.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
Two nights ago I was working very hard at taking some seams out - I do a lot of that, unfortunately.

I'm very nearsighted, have an astigmatism and double vision. I have to get in real close to find the threads to be cut, so I look over my glasses. The glasses are perched on the end of my nose and my eyes are 'exposed' to the world.

I was having trouble cutting through one of the stitches, so applied more than usual pressure to the seam ripper. Of course, the thread broke with the extra pressure, but then the seam ripper traveled up to just below my eyebrow before I was able to stop myself. It grazed my skin but, luckily, it didn't cut me.

Haven't told my husband about it. He thinks quilting is safe! He will never know...
That is why I don't use one. I always use my snippers or small embroidery scissors to cut the threads while I splay the seam to be ripped.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:01 AM

wow, you were lucky. Great advise on seam ripper, change yearly to have a sharp one. Safty first, always fear accidents that cause pain. Your eyes are so important, take care.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

Hazard pay I tell ya'! We quilters should get Hazard pay from someone!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 11-21-2010, 05:45 AM

We all seem to have done something silly like that from time to time. The other night I was quilting a baby quilt. My machine was having some problems so I was having to take out stitches and bury the ends. I went to put the needle in my mouth (a no-no) and stuck myself in the lip. I called this quilt the thread graveyard due to all the buried ends. Just think had it really went through your eyebrow you could of put a earring through it and told everone you were having a midlife crisis and peirced your eyebrow!