Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
How does one make a Lonestar withOUT the mountain in the middle? >

How does one make a Lonestar withOUT the mountain in the middle?

How does one make a Lonestar withOUT the mountain in the middle?

Old 11-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

Just beautiful!
Old 11-21-2010, 01:01 PM

It is important to make sure that each center, of each quarter section is square and then each half is straight BEFORE you stitch them together. Most times it gets stretched when pressed or sewn. That is what causes the mountain in the middle.
Startching may help. Like Sharon Shamburg (spelling?) does.....
Old 11-21-2010, 01:04 PM

No answer to your question but love the quilt. Very beautiful and unusual.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kwiltergirl
I've never been able to get an answer to this question and I've asked a number of people at a number of sites. I love Lonestars, but when I try to make one I ALWAYS get this "bunched up mountain" in the very center of the star. My only solution to this problem, so far, is to cut out the center and applique something on top to cover the hole. I had to do this with my latest one and I appliqued a yellow star in the middle. It looks all right but there's got to be a better way. Anyone got any ideas or great tips I could use??
Kip
You have to have all the seems turned going in the same direction. Like a pinwheel. then it will lay flat.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:38 PM

I took a Lone Star class from Jackie Robinson. She told a story about making her first Lone Star and the big mountain in the middle. She actually taught classes expecting the mountain in the middle. She finally figured out a way to make Lone Stars without the mountain.

Her method is to make the strip sets and iron them. After that UNPLUG the iron and do not use it again until the squares and triangles surround the completed star.

To quote her pattern: "The bias is EXTREME, and any pressing or extra handling will change the shape, and give you a messed up corner."

She says to avoid any temptation to iron until all the strips are sewn together in the star and the background squares are sewn.

Also remember, DO NOT IRON! And when you do, PRESS. Set down the iron on the material, pick up move to the next spot, set iron down. PICK UP, do NOT slide iron!
Old 11-21-2010, 01:52 PM

It might also help to put some fudeable interfacing on the bias before cutting to help keep it from stretching too. Huggies, Fay
Old 11-21-2010, 02:25 PM

Actually if you will take a seam just a thread or two smaller as you get to the point where they will all come together it helps. Also when sewing it together, do one side and then the other, then when you put the center seam together sew from the middle to the outside in one direction and then do it the other way from the center out. Then turn it over and spin the center seam all in the same direction. If you aren't quite accurate with the seam and it isn't sewn to the point, this will not show. I just did this with the mariners compass and had no mountain in the middle. Some wise lady, who is no longer with us, Phyllis, taught me this.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
a rubber mallet?!
(with batting on it,to keep from leaving a mark on the fabric!)

i swear i have heard of it being done..
mama hemmed jeans this way with just any ole hammer. it works great. really "thinned" those thick seams
Old 11-21-2010, 03:14 PM

That is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:19 PM
mel

theonly way i did it without "mountains" was to paper piece. But yours is beatiful and I am sure once you quilt it it will look great!