Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things? >

In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things?

In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things?

Old 11-21-2010, 12:33 PM

Oh no!!!!! I must say I think that we all get in a slump once in awhile. There are three of us ladies that have an all day sew-in every month. That helps with the slump and wer also get quite a bit of things accomplished.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:07 PM

There are a few kinds of "unsettled" for me - angry, hurt, and overwhelmed. I cannot and will not sew when I am feeling angry (luckily I am "never" in this space), sometimes I can sew when I am feeling overwhelmed, but I CAN sew when I am feeling hurt. The overwhelm can be a challenge, though, so I finish ONE BLOCK, put it down and walk away. It may be just a few minutes, or a few hours or even a day, but I am back again, working on one more block ... and it doesn't even have to be the same project. If I can find something mindless, like cutting out a ton of bias strips for applique vining, I'll do that - I was going to have to do it sometime anyway - and the step away. The overwhelm for me is starting something and having the "have to finish it NOWTODAY" in the back of my mind. So I finish one part, put it down and walk away to do something else. Within a short time, a few days, I notice I am accomplishing something despite the overwhelm, despite accomplishing it slower than light speed, and it helps me move through the other overwhelm. I usually discover that the underlying reason for my "stuckness" reveals itself so I can work through that. Hope this helps.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:34 PM

Make some pillow cases and give them away. That always cheers me up! :)
Old 11-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
I don't know what's wrong with me. For about a month now, I haven't wanted to work on anything. I pick up something and work a minute and put it back down and get something else. Then I put it down. I can't seem to get back in the groove of things. I've had a lot going on in my life that I've had to deal with but around here, that's normal. I just can't seem to get my desire to quilt back. Maybe I'm burned out. Do any of yall ever feel this way???? How can I get that DESIRE back??? Help!!
We have this thread every once in a while. I think an awful lot of us go through this feeling sooner or later. It's a momentary burnout. I had one that lasted almost a year. Not really momentary I guess. I had begun thinking of what I would do with my billions of dollars worth of stuff. Then one day .. poof! it was gone. I can't remember what exactly happened to help me get my groove back. But I DO remember I went to a small but wonderful quilt show at, of all places, our local airport. Maybe that was the incentive I needed. Or maybe the cycle had just come to its own end. It's sort of like writer's block. Even Stephen King has had them. First, don't let yourself get all worried about it. Continue to be around other quilters and stay on this board. Look at all your quilt books, keep your mind involved. Stroke your fabric at least once a day. Rearrange your quilting spot. And enjoy your freedom for a while. You'll be OK. :lol:
Old 11-21-2010, 02:14 PM

I go through lots of slumps. I never quilt when I'm upset..the creative juices just don't flow then. Take time & do other things that interest you. The inspiration will return...have a good Thanksgiving.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:54 PM

Hello:
I am also in a slump! I have taken a break from all repairs and quilting, now I am on the look out for small or beautiful quick items that I can be inspired by to do for the holidays. Anyone know of anything that will be inspirational for us slumpers? Fast and cute ideas...I'd like to feel inspired by appliqued something or other. Andyone with ideas? Maybe something that I'd be able to do ten minutes a day or see it completed in part at least quickly.
Thanks!
Old 11-21-2010, 02:56 PM

(I'd like to change my name to 'Debbie" instead of what it is here...)
Hello:
I am also in a slump! I have taken a break from all repairs and quilting, now I am on the look out for small or beautiful quick items that I can be inspired by to do for the holidays. Anyone know of anything that will be inspirational for us slumpers? Fast and cute ideas...I'd like to feel inspired by appliqued something or other. Andyone with ideas? Maybe something that I'd be able to do ten minutes a day or see it completed in part at least quickly.
Thanks! Debbie
Old 11-21-2010, 02:59 PM

Coasters, pot holders and mug rugs seem to be the hot items as of late that don't take much time at all.

Keychains and wallets have been showing up too.

Hope you find something that you can do until you're fully up and running.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the reply...I will look around the internet for some of those pattern ideas to make when I have 30-45 minutes free. In my case the slump comes from not having enough time to comple what I start. How is the gift-giving season comeing for you all?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Listen to your instincts. Maybe you just need a break. Stop trying to make yourself do quilting. Sometimes we just need to do nothing at all. You are a quilter and when you have rested you will pick up a project again at the right time for you.