Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 11-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
I'm quilting with just the batting on them Lesley, but I was thinking the the quilting stitches that are too close to the edge will block me from adding the sashing correctly. Don't you attach the sashing just to the block itself? You didn't sew the batting into the seam too...did you??
Yes I did, Patti. I had the sashing on the top of the block, and stitched through block and backing. Then I did the same and sewed on the next block. Now I had one layer of fabric sashing between the two blocks. When you turn that over, the two layers of batting are fighting with each other. All you have to do is trim them so they are butted up to each other, and I then oversewed them together. When I quilted the sashing, I did two rows of stitching in my three quarter in sashing, so I really didn't actually need to sew that batting together on the back.

Have another look on page 214, and you will perhaps be able to see that a bit better now.

back, showing two rows of quilting in the sashing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131270[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-131265.jpe
Views:	35
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	131270  
Old 11-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

15 yards of background Kona cotton $ 60
batiks, about 15 yards in total, say $126
I cotton sheet for backing $ 10
1 Batt, Warm & Natural $ 25?
Rulers & software, can't remember.
I haven't included various amounts for shipping, 'cos I can't remember what that came to either

But that's about it, for costings I think. ?
Old 11-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

Me again, here are another couple of pics to show what I did on the back, that might help. I trimmed one side of the batting on the back so it was roughly central, then overlapped it over the other side and marked with a pencil, then trimmed it ready to roughly sew together.

This one is showing the join between rows
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131276[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-131269.jpe
Views:	135
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	131274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-131270.jpe
Views:	136
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	131275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-131271.jpe
Views:	27
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	131276  
Old 11-21-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
15 yards of background Kona cotton $ 60
batiks, about 15 yards in total, say $126
I cotton sheet for backing $ 10
1 Batt, Warm & Natural $ 25?
Rulers & software, can't remember.
I haven't included various amounts for shipping, 'cos I can't remember what that came to either

But that's about it, for costings I think. ?
Lesley, I think our total costs are similar. The software was around $60ish...for those that are interested!

:)
Old 11-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Pookie, my step son has been in the military over 20 years, he has three young children. We always pray for his safe return anytime he is away, so I understand.

The best to your BF and to you also.

Do post some pics of your Baby Jane so we can enjoy your progress with you and see some of those lovely fabrics!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:11 PM

Pookie, I found the Ladies of the Sea. What a beautiful quilt!!! Yes, that would be something I'd be interested in doing! Spent more of my life in New England than any other place - 20 years. That quilt brings back memories of Boston Harbor, USS Constitution and the other big sailing vessels.

Also saw your message above on the Google search!

Happy Stitching.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:21 PM

I am new to the Quilting Board but would love to sign up for the Dear Jane Block Party. I have the book, software and have been collecting civil war fabrics for this quilt for several years but just haven't gotten it started yet. Working with a group would be great support.

Sandy
Old 11-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

Lesley...well SLAP ME IN THE HEAD! You DID sew through both the block and the batting. These pics show it to me much better, or it may be that I'm further along and I'm thinking it through better. Thanks...I think I've FINALLY gotten it through my head! So now I see that I actually can quilt closer to the edge with no problem.

Pookie and Kathy...I looked at that Ladies of the Sea also..it is a gorgeous quilt!!

Sandy...feel free to dive right in! A group of us started the quilt last January (2010) and we are scheduled to finish it up in May 2011. We used a schedule that is posted by the week in the Dear Jane virtual section. Scroll to the top of this page and above where all the posts start, you will see a title saying "related virtual sections"..under that is Jane Stickle whatever....in blue letters. click on that and then subscribe to it and you will see all the threads for the project. Jump in anywhere and we will all be here to cheer you on and help you whine your way through it :wink:
Old 11-21-2010, 06:46 PM

SAndy, Welcome to this wonderful group. You won't find a more supportive group anywhere. Jump right in and start anywhere you want. It's fun and challenging!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Lesley...well SLAP ME IN THE HEAD! You DID sew through both the block and the batting. These pics show it to me much better, or it may be that I'm further along and I'm thinking it through better. Thanks...I think I've FINALLY gotten it through my head! So now I see that I actually can quilt closer to the edge with no problem.

Pookie and Kathy...I looked at that Ladies of the Sea also..it is a gorgeous quilt!!

Sandy...feel free to dive right in! A group of us started the quilt last January (2010) and we are scheduled to finish it up in May 2011. We used a schedule that is posted by the week in the Dear Jane virtual section. Scroll to the top of this page and above where all the posts start, you will see a title saying "related virtual sections"..under that is Jane Stickle whatever....in blue letters. click on that and then subscribe to it and you will see all the threads for the project. Jump in anywhere and we will all be here to cheer you on and help you whine your way through it :wink:
Now, would I do that to you Patti? Of course not. At least you know now that you can quilt right to the edges, and sneak along the edge to the next line etc. It's a good job I took those pics as I went along. I must have known that you were going to want to see how I did it.