Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine embroidery?? >

Machine embroidery??

Machine embroidery??

Old 11-23-2010, 06:27 AM

Hi ,

Can anyone answer a question for me ? I have a 4x6 inch hoop for my Janome. Will it take a 4by 4 inch design?
I would appreciate any help at all.
Thank you , Linda
Old 11-23-2010, 06:35 AM

I think it should fit. Do you have the ability to shrink the design? I would probably shrink it down a smidge just to be sure. I'm not familiar with the Janome; but usually when you put a pattern in the machine it will tell you whether it fits or not.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:58 AM

if your hoop is 4X6 it won't take a design that's 4X
you'll probably have to go with 3X4 or 5
Old 11-23-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by LindaKay
Hi ,

Can anyone answer a question for me ? I have a 4x6 inch hoop for my Janome. Will it take a 4by 4 inch design?
Thank you , Linda
Your hoop should be able to handle any design that is sold as 4x6 or smaller. The best way to be sure is to convert to mm. Your machine should be able to convert the size of the hoop to mm if it isn't already displaying as such. Before you buy the design or if you already have it, before you start using it check it's size in mm. I have found that very often a design is sold as a 4 x 4 because that is the closest measurement, but when converted to mm it may be considerably smaller, in which case it will fit your hoop perfectly. When you load it into the machine, also, the machine will tell you the size of the design and it may ask you what size hoop you have (some machines can tell the size of the hoop they are wearing), and the machine will tell you if the design is too big for the hoop.

Sorry, so much and so complicated to say yes! it should fit!.

Maria
Old 11-23-2010, 08:22 AM

I have a ULT Brother and my small hoop is 4x6 inside. A design has to be 3.98 inches or smaller to work in it. I don't know if your machine is the same, but your machine should show you if it fits or not and if not I can make it smaller or larger to to a certain degree. Most designs that say 4x4 are actually made to fit the 4x6 hoop and are alittle smaller.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:00 AM

I have a Janome 9000 that I haven't used yet but it says the biggest design is 3.5x5. It won't matter what size hoop I use the design will only be that size or smaller I think.
Which Janome do you have?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:58 PM

It "should" take a design that is intended for a 4x4 hoop but not a design that is 4x4. Some machines allow the user to shrink a design a small amount to help with that. Also each manufacturer's tolerances for what size will fit inside their hoops may vary as well.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:34 PM

I have a sizing button on my machine that shows the area needed for the pattern. Also my machine tells me which hoop to use. But if I am using the largest hoop I can use any size design.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:39 PM

Yes, a 4x4 design will fit in the 4x6 space.
As long as the sewing area of the hoop is bigger than the design, it will fit.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by LindaKay
Hi ,

Thank you , Linda
i have a janome 350E and yes it will take it. but if you want to convince yourself for sure, put ur frame on the machine, pull up the design then jog around to see. do you know how to do that. it is 4 little arrows each going in different direction to make a square.