Two good things >

Two good things

Two good things

Old 11-23-2010, 08:49 AM

Busy but fun. glad you get to enjoy her
Old 11-23-2010, 09:49 AM

What a fun time !!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:11 PM

My 8 year old GD just finished her first quilt top and did a really fine job. She informed me that she could select and sew and I did not need to stand nearby. After that she laid out the 6" squares to start the next one. It is such a pleasure to see her do this as my children were all boys and having a girl who is interested in making quilts it an added gift. Happy holidays.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by SherrieDLux
My 10 year old GD is sitting there right now sewing some squares together, I have tried and tried to get her to sew with me to no avail, and out of the blue she got up and said "Gram, what can I sew?" So I dashed to my sewing room and found some beautiful squares for her to put together, ain't life grand when you have a child who wants to be like her grandmother.
Sherri, that's how I felt. She never was interested before, but I was making some potholders when they got here, and just that fast she wanted to make one too. I sure wasn't going to miss that chance, so we hurried to the machine. I just hope she wants to keep trying. I've got plenty of charms, so after Xmas when she gets her new Amer. Girl doll, I think a doll quilt would be good.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:43 PM

What a happy memory your made with your DGD. I can barely wait until Olivia is old enough to sew. I have several toy sewing machines I will be giving her if she show any interest. Her Mama sews so maybe she will.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:55 PM

My grand-daughter, now 6, has always been fascinated by the machine. I'm hoping she'll ask to try herself soon. Two questions: 1) has anyone bought one of those children's beginner machines that they sell at JoAnns, and what did you think of it? and 2) can someone recommend some easy patterns that would interest a child - without resorting to the cutter? (She's already sliced opened a finger playing - against orders - with one of my pins.) Thanks.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:07 PM

I bought the really simple machine at our fabric store in Anderson, she soon graduated to my first machine by DH and now went back to the simple machine, it does staight and zig zag but she is happy with that..I am so scared of anything right now except sewing 5" squares together, she made a pillow, and was so proud of herself...I wish I had someone back then to egg me on to try harder...we are all angels you know, grandparents do so much more than you ever knew...keep on trying with those children, they are all so eager to be proud of themselves, we all need that don't we?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:26 PM

My 9 yo GD loves to sew. Taught her and her mother this summer. When I got my new Janome Horizon, I gave them my Bernina 135. They were thrilled. DIL has made 4 aprons for her, Emma, her mom and sister. Did a really good job. Makes me so happy they love my hobby. Of course, little brother (7) likes to sew too - he makes blankies for his monkey!
Old 11-24-2010, 04:15 AM

I have 3 daughters and only 1 has shown a little bit of interest in sewing. :lol:
Hoping i will soon have grandchildren and maybe have a bit more luck with them.
Hope you have many more hours of sewing enjoyment with your GD
Old 11-24-2010, 05:44 AM

Awesome! I need to pick up some insulbrite as well. I think I'm going to make my mother in law and maybe my mother a kitchen set.

It's great when they learn something.

You should also have her make something that she will really like a lot - like a zippered pouch or something - like a pencil case. I have taught a few teens to sew and a zippered pouch is always a hot item and really really easy.