Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric prices >

fabric prices

fabric prices

Old 11-24-2010, 11:58 AM

The fabric we buy online is exactly the SAME as you buy in craft shops. I go to craft shows note the fabric by maker Moda, Kaufman etc, most fabrics have a design name, the maker is usually printed along the selvage, I agree I like to test the "feel" of the fabric so I examine the fabric carefully make a note then go home and switch on the "On" button of my computer and order from the many online shops in the US.

Some of my favourites are Fabric Shack, Fabric Depot,<Fabricworm and Quilt Kits Online. Connecting threads have beautifull fabrics but do not ship internationally.

I always go for quality as so many hours are put into making a quilt and I always want them to look good for as many years as possible after constant laundering.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:09 PM

Not all JoAnn's fabrics are $9.99. When I was making aprons for a church bazaar, I found quite a few from $3.99 to $6.99. Most of them were good fabrics. One peachy print at the $4.99 price point didn't wash as well as I would have liked, but it was being used where the fabric was double and the color was wonderful, so it was fine. At 30% off, these were good prices for mission work and still be able to turn out a quality product.

I am sewing on Moda now and I do like it.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:24 PM

I needed another print to go with fabric I already had, so I went to my local quilt shop and found the perfect match - at $15.95 a yard! Needless to say, I got something else.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by deema
Originally Posted by morelcabin
Here in Northern Ontario you are looking at $14.95 minimum regular price at eh quilt shops. I started shopping connecting threads too. For the odd color I am missing or for a special yard or so I will shop local...but it hurts!
Yep, I'm seeing prices like that too, up to $19-$22/m (which is only three inches longer than a yard!) Ordering online, even with shipping costs is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper.

Are these higher prices for fabric made in the USA? or offshore?

I won't buy anything fabric made in China etc. We've got to stop supporting them. Buy American made at a discount, use coupons, anything to save $$. The small quilt shops have a hard enough time as it is making a profit, it will put a lot of them out of business. I hope we don't have to start buying everything online, the shipping will be high too.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:03 PM

Hi,
I'd love to know about this fabric shop. I am originally from Maine and love to find new shops to check out!
Thanks,
lots2do
Old 11-24-2010, 05:30 PM

Same here in Ireland. We pay the equivalent of $16-$20 per metre and as for threads and notions, DON'T GET ME STARTED. They are a total rip off over here, when you can get them. I have been buying online from the U.S. since I started quilting about a year ago and even with shipping I only pay less than half what I would pay at home
Old 11-24-2010, 05:55 PM

eQuilter.com has lots of fabric on sale for less then $4 a yard. Their shipping prices don't put the cost up there either.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Bev

My LQS has gone up to $10.00 on the usual fabrics, and over that on anything the least bit special.
I think if I need anything from now on I'll shop around on line. Quite a few places on line have much better prices than that. 8-)
Old 11-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
eQuilter.com has lots of fabric on sale for less then $4 a yard. Their shipping prices don't put the cost up there either.
Right, I got some really nice fabric on sale last week from eQuilter. They're very fair with their sale prices and SO fast with shipping.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:06 PM

Come down under and you will pay $22-$26 per meter. I am envious of the cheap prices you pay for your material and am addicted to many of your great online stores which send me yards of material for my stash!! I don't care if I have to pay for postage as it still works out at around one third cheaper!!