Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My sewing machine is history! >

My sewing machine is history!

My sewing machine is history!

Old 11-25-2010, 07:31 AM

My advice is to buy form an independent dealer who is there to answere your questions and provide service for the one that you finally get. Good luck
Old 11-25-2010, 07:44 AM

My wife worked for Walmart..... They go to a company and tell em how much they want to pay for an Item... the company then has to make it for wallyworld at that price... you get what you pay for. If you go to a sewing machine place some times they have reconditioned machines. I have a Viking Saphire 830 sewing machine that was a reconditioned one ITS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!. It depends on what your budget is. Suggest you get as much machine as you can afford ( just do not buy cheap machines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Janome is a great machine. babylock is used by several people on TV sewing shows. THe only thing I regret is I did not get one that has a USB port in it ( for software updates).

Good luck with the machine you buy. Happy sewing!!!
Old 11-25-2010, 07:55 AM

My feeling is that an initial investment in a really good machine is better than repetedly replacing a poorer machine. Also in buying from a dealer you get good repair and support if you need it. I have a upscale computerized Bernina and I love it, but I also have a Bernina 830 mechanical that I have had for over 30 years. The 830 works as well now as it did when I first bought it. I paid $500 and guess what it is still worth $500. So Look for a good mechanical version of any good brand, babylock, Janome, Huskyvarna. Go to a dealer and check for refurbished trade-ins, get a mechanical rather than computerized if you want to go low cost. I recomend the Bernina 440 for a good midpriced computerized or if you can find one an second hand 830 mechanical, but then I am prejudiced towards Bernina.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:00 AM

Although lots of people may love their Singers, I can tell you that many, many people I see in my quilting classes are quite unhappy with the quality of current Singer machines...they are definitely NOT our grandmothers' Singers. They are mostly plastic and it's next to impossible to get servicing for them. Please think about going to a reputable sewing machine dealer (Bernina, etc.) and getting a "pre-loved" machine, which usually comes with a full warrantee. It will cost you more than a new Singer but will give you years of wonderful sewing if it can be tuned up or repaired locally. Sewing machines are precision instruments with hundreds of parts; you will get what you pay for. Everyone is price conscious in this economy, but IMHO, it is better to invest in a quality machine that can do more, run more smoothly and be repaired if necessary. Good luck and let us know what you get!
Old 11-25-2010, 08:02 AM

I also have a Bernina 830 that I have had for over 30 years and I still love it. I'm just getting into quilting and our space and budget is limited. I was looking at the SQ9000 (Brother).
Old 11-25-2010, 08:08 AM

Well, to be brief, don't waste your time on a piece of plastic made who knows where and with little or no customer service.
JMHO
Old 11-25-2010, 08:11 AM

My new Singer was bought at JoAnn's but not FROM JoAnn's.
They have a Viking dealer who also has Singers in store. I
am aware that it has plastic parts but I got it mainly to
haul to guild and retreats or to sew with friends rather than pack up my Viking everytime.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:17 AM

While you are looking check out the Baby Lock machines. I stitch for days on end using free-motion technique to create my "Sculpted Threads" pieces which are stitched on water soluble stabilizer so you know I give a machine hard use. For 3 years I've been using a Baby Lock 23 which is near the bottom of the line but has a drop-down feed dog capability with complete success. I was able to buy it for less than $300 brand new with a one year service guarantee!!! Then they replaced it with the 23A and that machine is now to be replaced with a drop in bobbin so the dealers are closing out the 23A. My Baby Lock dealer is super and the service is outstanding, I'd hope you'd have a good dealer as well.

Jan (AKA Thread Lady)
Old 11-25-2010, 08:19 AM

I have the Singer sewing machine with the extended table and I love it. I bought it from HSN over a year ago and never went back to my old machine. It is good to be near a good machine repair shop. I am fortunate that I live in a big city and I can get to one. Whatever your choice, HAPPY SEWING. How blessed you are that you have a husband who understands how important a machine is to you. Give thanks for him today......
Old 11-25-2010, 08:22 AM

I do not recommend singer or brother. Have both broken and in the attic. My first choice would be an older Pfaff that is made of all metal or an older model Janome.

TO THE GALS THAT ARE RECOMMENDING: What models of Janome Jem Platinum do you have? I looked online and there are several numbers that go after the name.