Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
a disappointment >

a disappointment

a disappointment

Old 11-25-2010, 09:50 AM

I think it's a lovely quilt and just wait until you have it quilted and it adds that extra dimension. You might change you mind yet. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by UglyCook
It's very pretty. Looks to me like a pond on a sunny day, surrounded by flowers.
This is a perfect description for your quilt. I totally agree. It's lovely.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:25 PM

As soon as the pic came up the blue fabric really hit me and I didn't see anything else. Maybe it isn't as bright in "real life"???
Very attractive design tho. Happy quiltiny, Kutnso
Old 11-25-2010, 12:38 PM

It is a beautiful quilt. Mr Blue just decided to show that he really is a dominant guy. if you love the floral & have more of it, try another small quilt with softer, lighter colors than the floral. one thing that may help to bring the floral print out is to quilt like sun rays from off-center of the blue pieces then into the outside rows. whenever you lay that quilt down, that beautiful, cheery blue will greet you. bet you learn to love it. colors love to fool us and we live and learn.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:42 PM

I think some of the blue appliqued around the border would really help alot or even just a blue border...but really it looks like a pond in the forest
Old 11-25-2010, 01:53 PM

I very much agree with those who suggested a blue border or at least some blue in the border. Both the inner portion and the outer portion of the quilt are pretty but they seem like they belong to two different quilts. The outer portion needs some of the blue to draw the two parts together. My personal preference would be to put a thin blue border inside the most outside border currently on the quilt.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:12 PM

Sorry, I can't find anything wrong with it - it makes me happy to look at it.. :)
Old 11-25-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by UglyCook
It's very pretty. Looks to me like a pond on a sunny day, surrounded by flowers.
It looks like the ripples on a pond...... and it is absolutely gorgeous.

You can always find it a home here! :D
Old 11-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oma66
I finished this lap quilt top today and when I studied it I felt disappointment. I can't put my finger on it -

I wanted to convey sunshine and flowers. I used a 9.5 in. pinwheel to show the floral fabric off, but maybe I cut it up too much.

Let me know what you think. I value your opinions.
It looks lovely as is and there is certainly nothing wrong with it, but maybe what makes you feel you cut it up too much is that the center portion (with the blue) has less contrast than the pinwheels around them. I love the way the outer run of pinwheels has the contrast, and if you wanted to get that same thing in the center, you'd only have to change about 6 pinwheels. You could keep all the blue, but for the other half of those pinwheels maybe change one of the fabrics to something that contrasts more, for every other pinwheel, as you have done around the border. That will give you more movement, I think. This is just optional-- certainly it looks pretty now, but sometimes you don't know how something is going to look until you try it. Don't be afraid to change things if you aren't totally happy.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by laureneberhard
How about appliqueing some flowers on the borders on the top left and bottom right?
exactly what I was going to say! it's pretty and a little applique will be just the thing :thumbup: