Quilt Challenge!

Old 11-24-2010, 05:59 AM

QuiltnCowgirl--I am doing the same--making quilts from family scraps----the easiest quilts are mile-a-minute, four patch, strip, or nine patch....
Old 11-24-2010, 06:11 AM

How about a pineapple scrappy quilt? They are fun to do. Yes they do take more time, but are so pretty when finished.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:25 PM

How do you make your crazy quilt? The directions I have say to sew the scraps to muslin and don't use any batting. I would like to make one that has batting in it.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:14 AM

I am in a fabric using but no buying frenzy. I am to the point that most of the scraps are sorted, cut and taking on a life of their own. In the projects:
1. Fall 6" Shoo Fly Blocks with 1 1/2" squares pieced sashing
2. Pinks and Roses Shoo Fly blocks with wonky pinwheel sashing
3. Batiks w Navy Background Delectable Mountain blocks, with Sawtooth stars border
4. Red, white and blue Milky Way with red and blue border
5. Ribbon Stars in bright colors with blue and navy ribbons
With the exception of the Mountains which are 7 1/2" tall all the blocks are 6" blocks. It is amazing how many scraps I have cut up to make this pile of new projects, each in its own bin, in some stage of sewing progress.
Then in the hand piecing bins:
1.Hexes for Grandmother Flower Garden runners and an assortment of small projects, leftover from GFG throw.
2. Seven Sister's Blocks
3. Mariner's Compass Block
3. Off whites hexes pieced together for background for a simple Nativity Scene, with enough hexes for a second one
I am just in the process of finishing up 4 place mats and 3 table runners with 4" pinwheel blocks all in woodsy tones.

Needless to say I will be busy for sometime without needing to look for more ways to use scraps but I do enjoy reading what others do with theirs.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:56 PM

I love Quiltville. I made a quilt from my late fathers shirts for my Mom. The Stretched Star. Did buy fabric for the back. I have also started a string quilt from her site. Don't have many yet. I will have to make that my challenge.
Sounds like fun!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:26 AM

Fun!
Old 11-28-2010, 08:48 AM

Great Idea, I'M IN. Also donating to a charity is also a great idea too!!!
Old 11-28-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by TymeToShine
How do you make your crazy quilt? The directions I have say to sew the scraps to muslin and don't use any batting. I would like to make one that has batting in it.
I'd like to know too how you make your crazy quilt? I have seen several methods and think there must be an easier way Sue :-
)
Old 11-29-2010, 07:28 AM

I love the idea of making quilts with a mix of different items. I'm in! I also love the idea of donating quilts. There are so many charites out there or even your local nursing home.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:14 AM

okey, dokey! So this has been around for a number of years, and I actually found the place where this particular thread has a sticky on it to keep it on the front page (and, I don't get there very often)
However! I am going to have to read every page to figure out what the mile a minute is, etc.
Currently, I am working on Bonnie Hunter's new mystery quilt, which is why I am here at all (you have to live in my head to connect the two <g>)
How is this working out for y'all? <wave> (Not my comment, folks - - the challenge! LOL