Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Missing packages... has this happened to you? >

Missing packages... has this happened to you?

Missing packages... has this happened to you?

Old 11-25-2010, 11:20 AM

I had a very expensive piece of medical equipment go to the wrong address. Someone signed for it, but fortunately, the company it came from was able to retrieve it. The address was a previous one that somehow got lost in the cracks when we changed addresses with the Dr's office. Stuff happens
Old 11-25-2010, 05:10 PM

Whi signed the ticket? That might tell you something. I've gotten things that were delivered next door. Or someone in the home may have put it away and forgotten about it.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:27 PM

i sent a nephew a snow mobil one piece outfit...he never received it. when it was traced, it never left the building...the only person that new what was in the box was the lady at the counter...some one has sticky fingers there and a deliverly person is wearing a nice warm outfit...they did pay me 100.00..learned ...no mater what you send make sure you insure it more than it's worth. they have to pay you.....
Old 11-25-2010, 06:28 PM

forgot to mention it was the UPS..
Old 11-25-2010, 06:58 PM

I have had several packages that were supposed to be delivered to me by UPS go missing. Mostly they were delivered to the wrong street or the wrong house number, and I have received a couple (from UPS) that were not mine, nor with my street address on them. Sometimes I wonder if UPS checks to see if their delivery people are literate or not. I have had the same sort of problem with regular mail from the post office.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:14 PM

Yes, I've had that happen. A couple of years ago one of my daughters and I spent many hours scrapbooking a baby book that my oldest daughter could fill in for her baby. It cost us over $100 in supplies (not to mention our time). We sent it by post (Canada) but the parcel delivery in her area was contracted out. The parcel was "delivered" but my daughter never received it. Fortunately I had insured it when I sent it so at least I got the financial cost back. But we had to make a whole new book to send to her.

Now I always send my parcels insured and signature-required. But it's true that the signature could be anyone's. One I sent was signed by the driver himself and left outside her apartment door!
Old 11-25-2010, 07:31 PM

Just a thought...we had a delivery guy in our town who was keeping packages and he and his wife were selling the stuff that he never delivered on craigslist. They found hundreds of packages in his house of other peoples stuff. I think he was a UPS driver.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:37 PM

Nan,

I live in a 5 unit Victorian, and we each have our own entries, which would be considered back doors, because we all have access to the front door and foyer from inside doors. I have a very large note on the front doors, directing all deliveries to the proper back door, which also states that packages left at the front door have been stolen, so they must never deliver there.

FedEx is the only carrier who can read and deliver correctly, because the PO and UPS were always leaving things at the front door, or any random side door.

Because UPS delivered a package that was stolen from the front, they will no longer deliver here, and we now have to go to their distribution center to get our packages, rather than them taking responsibility and disciplining their lazy driver.

The PO is often a lost cause. Three packages in one year, signed for, and never received. It does me no good to look at a signature that I can't read or recognize.

I find it inconvenient to have to deal with the carriers and embarrasing to deal with the vendors.

At this time of year, thieves do folow delivery trucks around and steal the packages they leave, so I'm sure the volume of non-deliveries will be much higher.

Diane
Old 11-25-2010, 08:19 PM

I've had Fedex, UPS & USPS mistakenly deliver to a house on a neighboring street with the same address numbers for years! The street names are not similar. Try and figure that one out.

Unfortunately, it's a rental house and I have lost items to a tenant.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics

Well, gee. The signature was (as many signatures are) basically illegible. The carrier doesn't care and won't assume responsibility, because they got a signature for the package, by someone over 18, and it was at the right address.

So... having insured it does no good. The carrier (FedEx) says it's been delivered, so we cannot put in an insurance claim.

Apparently the only thing we could have done to prevent this would have been to either send it through the Post Office, using Restricted Delivery, which would require photo id from the customer, in order to release the package. Or, send it FedEx but have the package held at the local FedEx center, and the customer would have to go there to pick it up, in which case photo id would be required.
You need "adult signature required" with FedEx or they will leave it with any adult. It costs about $4(careful if you ship in batches, Fedex is odd in that they will charge a fee for every package in the batch, check the details). The signer will have to show legal id upon delivery.

At this point you need to get the police involved. File a theft report and tell your buyer what you are doing (I'm sure you can figure out why). Whether they cooperate or not, will tell you a lot.

Also go back to FedEx and make another claim. It is automatic for claims to be rejected the first time. If you have a rep, get on the phone with the rep.

Also there is the thought of the driver may have signed the slip. They often do.