Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) >

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here)

Old 11-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Suz

My grandson was here for the holiday and helped me get started posting pictures. Just hope I can do it myself now that he is gone. The applique is by hand. Actually the fabrics are from a quilt I made for a special great granddaughter which I will speak of later when I post a pix of her quilt. Right now just want to add that some of the background fabrics are wrongside up. The print/color was too strong, so I just flipped them over.

The next thing I have to do is attach the piping, then border. I will give an explanation of the piping when I post the picture again. Incidentally, I do not know how to make the picture smaller. It seems a bit big to me. Suz
Old 11-26-2010, 07:28 PM

Suz- love your hearts, they do seem shabby chic. Wasn't able to do the hearts, just too far behind in my real life, but I have been doing applique, will post some in a while to show you what I've been up to.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:49 PM

:thumbup:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-134436.jpe
Views:	245
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	134441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-134437.jpe
Views:	250
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	134442  
Old 11-26-2010, 11:13 PM

can't do hand applique any more so i've switched to raw edge machine applique. i use rayon thread or invisible thread depending on how many colors the design uses. trace the design on wonder under then cut out leaving about 1/8 inch all around.i then fuse the cut out to the appropriate color fabric. green for leaves, pink for petals etc. for me the next step i use is the most important. using elmers school glue it must be school glue, paint with the glue a little more than 1/8 inch all around the edges of the cut outs. let dry then and cut on your traced line. now when you peel the paper backing off you don't get fuzzy threads on the edges. the fuzzies always ruined the raw edge method for me. fuse the pieces to the block . use a press cloth to keep your iron clean. then i spray the block with spray starch and iron. starching gives the block enough stability so you don't get any puckers. finally, soak the block in cool water or wait until its been quilted to soak. the elmers school glue is nothing but super heavy starch so it comes out when soaked. looking forward to learning some new techniques from the board.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:23 PM

forgot to mention i've done some very intricate appliques this way. if i ever figure out my photo program i'll post some poics
Old 11-27-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
:thumbup:
OOhh. I like the black and white flower. I have a variety of black and white prints and hadn't thought to use them like that. Thanks for the idea!
Old 11-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Suz

KK, love your fabric choices and your work is lovely. The contrast between the bouquet and vase as well as the black/white pieced flower and red stem/leaves is outstanding. Incidentally, the bouquet treatment is called broderie purse wherein you cut out a floral print and applique it. Most often cut out one flower at a time.
May I suggest that next time you oversize your background blocks and then cut to the correct size once the applique is completed. If you look closely at your blocks, you have a very very small seam allowance at the the bottom of your blocks which may end up in the seam which is really a shame as your handwork is so beautiful. Perhaps you can loosen the bottom of the vase and stem and trim just a smidge in order not to cut off in the seam allowance.
No hard feelings here, please. We are all here to learn from one another and these are only suggestions. Suz
Old 11-27-2010, 12:33 PM

Suz- no offense taken, it's all in the process of learning, and I am here to learn. Haven't trimmed them yet. I put these on last night, and went right to bed.

Thanks Bonni, I am making a swap quilt with all red, white and black blocks. I also love that color combo, I think it is my favorite.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:33 AM

Here are three appliques I worked on while sick(when I was actually awake).

The fish and the lion are patterns from fatcat designs.com and the bird house is my own pattern.

Name:	Attachment-139094.jpe
Views:	240
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	139099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-139095.jpe
Views:	257
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	139100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-139096.jpe
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	139101  
Old 12-20-2010, 07:40 AM

Finally finished a small wall hanging (17") for my mom for Christmas. She doesn't have much space on her walls in the nursing home for things but does keep the area over her head for small things that I make.

I think she will like it.

Name:	Attachment-145721.jpe
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	145726