Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new quilt room need ideas >

new quilt room need ideas

new quilt room need ideas

Old 11-28-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by kayelynn
Go to Wal Mart a get a set of bed risers for around $7 and put under the legs of your cutting table to bring it up to a more comfortabe height for working.
A handyman can make you a set of 6 x 6 solid wood risers which are a lot more sturdy. My daughter uses those to make her bed higher also. Love that under the bed storage.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:40 PM

I had an addition added to the house last summer for my sewing studio - 676 sq. feet! I'm in heaven! My closet is 6x12 for fabric storage. I purchased plastic storage and shelving units from Walmart. My floor is cherry laminiate and is very easy to maintain. I have several wool area rugs where needed. My cabinets and cutting table are Koala.I ordered the corner unit to have my machines at an "L" shape. I have four large windows with blinds you can see through but filter the lignt and can close completely for privacy. My studio won on the Koala site for October - check it out. I am almost retired and I can't wait to spend my days playing in here with my new HQ Avante. I have Ellisimo and Viking SE machines, 2 sergers, and a Janome Gem I take to classes. The more I do in here - the more I enjoy creating in here. Good luck on your studio - can't wait to see your pics.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:47 PM

For years I sewed with my machine on a table up against a wall. My room is small by comparison to yours but I was able to line the wall with a table and but up against the sewing table out into the room. My husband put a piano hing onto the sewing table and did an extension with legs. That way I can open up when need more space behind the machine. I really like the machine in the middle of the room. My husband thinks I am taking up to much floor space and I have told him, I don't plan on dancing in the room. As long as I can get around and it suits me.
Rita
Old 11-28-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by judi wess
Randa, my new hubby, who understands my passion, installed a new floescentsp? fixture with cool and warm bulb. Wow, what a difference, why didn't do this a long time ago. Not expensive and my eyes are very happy.
Was this in addition to your "center of the room" ceiling fixture?
If I knew for sure I'd leave the machine where it is, I'd go for that, and perhaps he would too. Not sure, tho. I've been playing with changing the room around. My machine sits in front of a window right now, NOT ideal in the winter, but in the summer I get natural light until 8:30 or later. So am thinking of moving it for winter to the opposite wall so it's closer to the center ceiling light. Do you think changing bulbs would work? I do have a light with a clip attached to the backside of my sewing table which is very helpful.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:55 PM

I put my quilting frame on a base for easy moving. The base is about 6" longer than the frame and 4" wider. My room has carpet, so I glued sliders on the bottom side, after about 4 coats of varnish. If I had wood or other smooth floor, I would have put carpet or felt on the bottom side for easy sliding. My room is only 8 feet wide and the frame sits against the wall unless I am using it.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:07 PM

That's great that you label your drawers & bins of sewing/quilting/fabrics. Makes finding what you need so much easier, esp when you're rushed for time. Enjoy!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:11 PM

Good lighting is so important. [By-the-way, my room is a professional quilting and sewing room.]
The large square dance quilt in hanging on my design wall. Both the small cabinet and the large cabinet with an ironing top are on rollers so they can be moved completely away from the design wall for full access.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-135469.jpe
Views:	480
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	135474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-135470.jpe
Views:	481
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	135475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-135471.jpe
Views:	459
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	135476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-135473.jpe
Views:	473
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	135478  
Old 11-28-2010, 06:18 PM

I bought upper kitchen cupboards for my fat quarter's. It puts them at eye level, which is great for me since I have vertigo and bending over is a problem. You can also get under cabinets for the lower, and they come out further so I can use them as work surfaces just like in the kitchen. I have found the cabinets with drawers for the lower are more useful than cupboards that are too low and deep. You can even pick a nice durable surface for the 'counters'.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Big Red
Hi everyone! I am moving and in my new place, my quilt room will be about 20x12. I would love all the input I can get to design this room. I have a tin lizzy and 2 machines that will need to go in here plus iron stand and I have a cutting table. Any ideas are much appreicated! Thanks so much!
If you put up a window curtain rod with shower-curtain hooks on a blank wall, you can hang a flannel-backed tablecloth to use for a design wall. Inexpensive and very useful!!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:07 PM

You are so lucky to have a large sewing room. Mine is just 9'x9' and very compact. I have a PC Quilter still in the box because there is no where to put it.

My guess is even if you think the arrangement is perfect you will probably rearrange a couple times. You go girl.