Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
over fifty and knee are hurting >

over fifty and knee are hurting

over fifty and knee are hurting

Old 11-28-2010, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Glad you are feeling better!
Old 11-28-2010, 09:41 AM

I take cortisone shots in each knee every three months. I have no catlidge in my knees due to age (72) and working on cement a lot of my life. The shots are helping and as long as they help I don't particularly care to have surgery. I'm not ready for that yet. It's hard for me to walk but if I don't do some walking I am stiff as a board. Oh well, say-la-vie?
Old 11-28-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I have an ankle I broke in the 70s, first diagnosis was I'd never walk again so now I figure I'm ahead of the game since I can walk a lot. But when the weather gets bad the screws in it hurt like mad. Probably calcium buildup, but I rub on DMSO cream and it makes it better. I also take MSM for long term pain in the winter, also seemed to help a little bit with migraines, they aren't so bad when taking it. If I'd only stop eating things I shouldn't would not be so bad at all. I'm 77 and feel lucky to have the mobility I have at this age.
Please be careful with DMSO. It is a solvent and whatever you may have on your hands will mix into the DMSO and goes immediately into your bloodstream. The way that stuff was discovered to help Arthur. was that a couple of tree surgens had used it for something in their work and it mixed with the insecticide they were using and soaked in thru their skin and killed them. Make sure you keep it pure.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I walk every day but still have one knee that gives me problems. Can't sit on the floor like I used to - it stiffens right up. And last night, slipped on a wet tile floor and banged the other knee HARD - oh, the golden years (I'm 54)
They are called the golden years because you need Fort Knox.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:41 PM

Okay, what is DMSO? I haven't heard of MSM either. Are these natural substances?

I get cortizone injections as often as needed as well as this jelly stuff. I've been pretty good since April. Perhaps this would help with my hands...it works good on my knees and hip.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:35 PM

I agree, exercise is key! But here's another point that you may not have considered. Have your Dr. check your vit. D levels next time you have a blood test. My Daughter, in her early 40's was hurting so bad she thought she must have rheumatoid arthritis. Turned out her vit. D levels were at 14 instead of the 35-40 that is optimum. After a few weeks of mega doses of vit. D her pain is gone and her energy levels are better too.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:57 AM

have them do blood work and check for thyroid i had the same problems especially my hips and once i started on thyroid it helped alot! oh by the way good luck with that exercise thing lol!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Dee

I feel for you, as I'm in the same pain.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:14 PM

It is one of the hardest things for me to do...exercise. The starting is hard. Once I am doing it I feel great and afterwards I wonder why I just don't do it more. It is so important for us as we get older especially having a sedentary hobby as we do. I am really trying to stay on an exercise progrma because I am also getting older and creakier! :-)
Old 11-30-2010, 08:23 AM

My husband has had trouble with his knees for years. This past year he lost alot of weight which helped some but last week he bought a pair of Skeecher's Shape Up shoes. He loves them. It took a couple of days to get use to the soles because they are rounded but even during that his knees don't hurt as much.

When he got up the 1st morning after wearing them, he said he didn't hurt at all. He slept better and felt better than he had felt in a few years. I hope they continue to make him feel better.

Maybe these could help you too.

We got them at Shoe Carnival. We were there picking up shoes for the kids for Christmas and they were running a sale Buy 1 Get the 2nd for 1/2 price so he got them for 1/2 price.