Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter >

Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter

Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter

Old 11-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Maybe paper piecing is the way for you. It will force you to do straight stitches. Of course it is a bit of a pain to pull off all the paper, but it sounds like you have plenty of patience.

Are you going too fast? Are you not pinning enough? Are you not using an even seam allowance (preferrably 1/4")? Are you using washed and pressed cotton fabric or slippery fabric? Do you starch your fabric (amma swears it makes all the difference). Is your machine set up ergonomically (so you don't hunch your shoulders? Do you have good lighting? Are you relaxed when you work?

Don't cry - we all have something wonderful to contribute and right now you are working your way to the next level.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome from Ontario.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:16 PM

I am a newbie too, but don't be so hard on urself. I cried over a quilt block that after 6 hours ( 8 til 2 ) I never did get together. I ended up quitting the quilt class I was in, I thought it was to advanced. And it was to advanced for me, but I should have calmed down and gone a head and went. When I think of all the things I could have learned from those VERY smart women...yes, I would never had gotten the quilt done, but the knowledge that I missed... try something simple to get ur confidence up. Put those hard blocks away for a little bit, they'll still be there when ur ready to try them agin :) hugs ljb
Old 11-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Banned

Honey we all started right where you are now. I am still having piecing issues. I just duck my head and keep going some come out good some dont. It is all part of the learning curve. You will get there . we promise.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:22 PM

Maybe you are meant to be a crazy quilter? :)

I'm sure they aren't as bad as you think. We are always too hard on ourselves.

Enjoy the process. We all know our seam rippers very well! I have 5 or 6, at least.

No one is perfect. How boring life would be if we were!! :)

Hang in there.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

Awwww I feel for you but also know EXACTLY how you feel. I am certainly not an expert and I've been quilting for 20 years!!
Take the good advice here and my 2 cents is this:
You said you really want to quilt so there's your answer! YES!!
As much as I love quilting I don't think it's an "easy" hobby at all but it's time well spent for me :D
HUGS, Hang in there!!
And your hubby is a doll for buying you that cutter :)
Old 11-29-2010, 04:27 PM

I'm a newbie, too. And I've had trouble with everything I make, to one extent or another. I always think everyone else is doing so much more advanced things than I am, but I make things I know will be fairly easy for me, so I will feel successful. Maybe you should just put the other projects away for right now, and try something super simple that appeals to you. I've only been quilting a year, but took some classes at a LQS, and that helped a lot. Also, the people on here are so helpful. Hang in there....try something easy, and before you know it you'll get back to those other projects. Good luck!
Old 11-29-2010, 04:30 PM

Oh my. I hear myself in your words. I have just decided to do the best I can and just make my quilts with love, and hope (and pray) the receiver likes them. We put so much love and hard work into our quilts and that's what we should be proud of. Not worrying about having it just perfect. I am so far from one of those people that can create a perfect quilt so I'm trying not to be so hard on myself and just do the best I know how and hope that I improve a little with each one. {{{hugs}}} Hang in there, there are many just like you out there and we know how you feel and are here to support you any way we can.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM

Don't beat yourself up. Only time and practice will give you the confidence.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:59 PM

Hang in there girl, it took me a long time to get a really decent quilt, too. But now my quilts are actually quite pretty, and I really enjoy making them. Just keep trying, and if you are like me things will one day just click, and it will feel natural. I still can't rollerskate, though. Husband asked me to stop trying, too dangerous to my health.

Would like to see some of your quilts, they probably aren't as bad as you think. We sometimes are our worst enemies.

Keep your chin up, and keep trying.