Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts in the War Zone >

Quilts in the War Zone

Quilts in the War Zone

Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM

A friend of mine just asked me if I had put my name and address or email address on my quilts or packages. I never thought to do that. Just knowing I sent 13 large boxes of goodies and supplies for someone's Christmas over there is enough. The news say it will continue over there for two or three more years.......I ache with sorrow. Our kids need all the contact with home and friends. I'm going to start collecting and having my friends to do so as well. I got a late start this year, but I plan to try to make a better effort next year. Contact your National Guard Armory and see if they have lists of local soldiers. You'll be amazed at the lists. God Bless you all and God Bless America

Ruth
Old 11-29-2010, 05:01 PM

I love helping our service men. Jan in Va is sending quilts to Afganistan to her SIL's men. She is still about 30 quilts short. She is asking for quilt tops approx 45" X 66". If you can quilt them, great, if not just send them to her and she will have them backed and quilted. You can PM her for more details. I would like to see her meet the goal before we start on another. Wounded Warriors ( that is where these quilts came from) and Quilts of Valor (a quilt is given to wounded men, I think after they arrive home) are both excellent programs to check into. But first please help Jan in Va with this worthy cause, she is so close..
Old 11-29-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by MomtoBostonTerriers
This morning I opened the front page of the Washington Post online edition as I always do. The Post had a photo essay of medical evacuations from Bagram Air Base, just outside Kabul, Afghanistan. In many of the photos showing wounded service men awaiting air transport to Germany, the guys were covered with colorful quilts! Made me think of all of you quilters who do this work for our guys and gals in the military. The photos on Washington Post don't stay very long, but I will provide the link here just in case you are able to catch the article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...rtslot#photo=6

God bless you quilters who send reminders of love to our military personnel. God bless our troops!
All I can say is that my eldest son, 20 y.o., is in Marine boot camp at this time. He loves blankies! He will pack a warm quilt b/f food, water, etc...

So this is truly a great mission, and THANK YOU to all that quilt for our servicemen!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:30 PM

I didn't realize Jan was still needing help. I will get to work on something to send to her asap. Thanks for the reminder. Hugggggs and smiless, wildlinda
Old 11-29-2010, 05:55 PM

Hi Ladies, You can join Soldiers Angels.com to help. They have many links for all kind of crafters. You can do just about anything and they have a link for it. I am a member and I send lots of stuff to the troops. Any thing you can do will help. Our troops are grateful and you will feel great too. They are losing upwards of 20lbs while they are in the field. So evert one can help in some way, if it's just sending food or money. Thanks, Dottie/irishd
Old 11-29-2010, 06:03 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Thank you so much for the link. It is a very vivid reminder to keep our soldiers in our prayers. How wonderful to see that they have received the quilts that have been sent. It's good to see them wrapped in a hug from home. Hope to see a picture of them with their Christmas stockings too. :-)
Old 11-29-2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by adamsallekat
You touched my heart with this article. I will be making a quilt and finding out how to send it.
Good for you, adamsallekat! I have never made a quilt for the soldiers, but I am seriously thinking about. I have only completed 2 quilts in my life, but I think I can tackle a lap quilt for one of our young heros.

I am so glad that many of you have posted info about organizations and individuals who sponsor these quilt projects. Can't think of anything I'd rather do with my time.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:26 PM

My sister and I mailed 14 blankets to the hospital at Bagram last week. We had to hurry as the request was urgent. We wound up serging fleece blankets just so we could get them into the mail quickly. It felt good to get that package off. It also included socks, tee shirts, boxers and a travel pillow. Thank you for this post.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:32 PM
SZQ

THANK YOU FOR SHOWING QUILTS IN USE BY OUR MILITARY.

THANKS TO ALL THE QUILTERS WHO GAVE THESE SO

FREELY.

WE SALUTE THE MILITARY,AND THE QUILTERS !!!

GOD BLESS THEM ALL. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 11-29-2010, 07:07 PM

How heartwarming these clips are !!!!! Accolades to all those who send quilts over for our dear men and women wounded helping to keep us free.