Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Waste >

Fabric Waste

Fabric Waste

Old 11-29-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I will save scraps of fabric to use for scrap quilts but if the scrap bin gets overflowing I know it's time to donate them because I won't be able to use them all. I don't like saving things that I might need one day, it just creates guilt.
I make scrap quilts for Project LInus and would LOVE any donations you want postage for. I would be so grateful!!
Old 11-29-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
Also, do you cut individual pieces, or do you stip quilt? Strip quilting can often save fabric.
It seems to me there is more waste in strip cutting. If you are cutting each piece of a patch individually (fussy cutting) you can line the template up and have very little waste. With strip cutting there is the cutting off the ends to line up and cutting sections to line up the ruler for triangles etc.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:18 PM

I, too, was raised with the idea of "save it for a rainy day, you might need it later, we might not be able to afford another one" crap so that now, since DH died, I'm left alone to get rid of 40 years of what we collected, or, the stuff we had left after all our years of having a happy time collecting stuff that's turning out to be just junk. The material I'll keep, sheets and short cuts and squares over 2 inches of course. I want to make two quilts, one for sister and one for me, hers in pink shades and mine in blues.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:44 PM

I have absolutely no idea, but I know I waste too much. I save for a while intending to make something with scraps, but always end up throwing them out to make room for new fabric. With the price of good fabrics, I'd probably shoot myself if I knew how much I wasted.
Janet
Old 11-29-2010, 05:26 PM

You can always cut leftover fabric into fabric strips of 2 inch,3 inch 4 inch. Set up basket for each size and you a ready to go for strip quilt without the fuss. Tons of strip quilt projects. :lol:
Old 11-29-2010, 05:59 PM

I love the pot holder idea. I make pot holders so now I have something new to try. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:02 PM

YOU MIGHT FIND THAT sUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHERS WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SMALL SCRAPS. PICTURE JOSEPH'S COAT OF MANY COLORS WITH SCRAPS.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by plainpat
I only save strips at least 1 1/2" wide & 21/2" squares.I can pretty much tell by looking at a scrap if it's worth saving.Otherwise, out it goes.
DH is retired & we've already downsized...big time...2 diff times & now we're getting serious about getting rid of a whole lot of "stuff". If it hasn't been used, worn or needed in a yr...bye bye. Goes to a thrift store, or sold at a yd sale.

BIL used to rent space to store his collections.....& that made no sense to me. If you have more than your house will hold,why buy more?....be it sewing whatever, vases or guns.

Amen! Liberating isn't it?! It's the only way to live. I've been downsizing and downsizing over the years. Friends say "but your home is very decluttered and organized, so why more downsizing?" to make sure it stays that way! I have 1 neighbor that has NOTHING in her attic! Wow now that's an accomplishment! I'm not there yet. We live in condos, so space is tiny and at a premium. Fabric can get out of hand quickly. Donate what you don't need.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 11-29-2010, 06:19 PM
SZQ

I like to get out my accuquilt and cut left overs into different

sizes for quilts for kids, scrap quilts or applique. Strips are good

for strip quilts or log cabin quilts, as the price of fabric goes up

we will learn to use every little piece.

Happy quilting
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 11-29-2010, 06:37 PM

I have found there are a good many here on the board who will gladly receive our too small for us to use pieces for doing their crumbly things. I just keep a container handy that I toss all such things into and when it is full I pass it on for postage. Why throw it in the trash when there are others who would love to use it?
Hugs and smiles,