Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter >

Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter

Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter

Old 11-29-2010, 06:56 PM

If you quilt, you're a quilter! If the results were all that mattered we'd all just buy blankets and be done. But it's the PROCESS of creating a quilt that's important, and that process will involve a lifetime of learning. There will always be something you don't know, which is awesome because that's how we grow!

As others have said, make friends with your seam ripper(s) and just realize it's all part of the process. I'm working on some very small, simple projects right now to get myself moving again; nobody knows about them, they're just for me, and there's no pressure at all. Maybe that's a good next step for you to take, too?

If nothing else you can give your quilts to a dog. A young dog will eat it and an old dog will lie on it, and they'll both be happy whether your seams are straight or not. Ask me how I know. :)
Old 11-29-2010, 06:59 PM

There is a lot of great advice here, such as making a crazy quilt, folk art quilting and string quilts. None of them require precision and could help you build confidence.

If you don't have a 1/4" foot, you can put some post it notes 1/4" away from the needle and butt your fabric against that as you're sewing.

A skill building class at a local quilt shop would also help.

I agree with everyone else on here, do not give up! Look how many people have been where you are now and what they've done since then.

We all wish you the best - and please keep sharing! {{{hugs}}}
Old 11-29-2010, 07:05 PM

Don't try to fix eveything at once. Just focus on one task and keep doing it until you are pleased with the result - "you are pleased" - don't feel somebody else needs to judge your work. If you are just starting apply what kindergardens are told.. "practice makes perfect" and enjoy the process.
One more to make straight seams: if you have already a 1/4 foot, put a tape on the right side of the machine bed at 1/4" from the needle, then align your fabric to the tape and saw. I promise that you will saw a straight seam.
Good luck and be patient. If you are not pleased and cannot live with it, use the seam ripper; if it is not that bad, be happy and keep going!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:11 PM

A lot of good ideas here in this thread. One of them, or all of them, will serve you well.

Hang in there! Once you start enjoying the process, everything will be cake. No perfection allowed. :0)

Maybe we should post pix of mistakes we've made. I've got more than a few!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:13 PM

Thank you for this website.
It looks like it’s easy to do.
I’m going to try it.
:thumbup:
Old 11-29-2010, 07:16 PM

Lots of good advice here. Take a deep breath and stop putting too much pressure on yourself.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:35 PM

Gee I thought I was the only one that had a love affair with my seam ripper. :-D
Old 11-29-2010, 07:45 PM

Gina, I've been making quilts for about 14 years... I've made 2 king sized ones, and probably 8 full-sized ones, and now just baby quilts. I can handle them when I hand quilt. Anyway, I have only noticed THIS year that my sewing/quilting has improved! It's like, well, it has finally clicked! I do have my 1/4" seam marked with tape on my machine which helps, and I have found that pinning intersections helps me too. Guess I just jumped into quilting when I really should have learned to SEW first! Keep at it though. Don't get discouraged... I have definitely been there~!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:08 PM

Don't get discouraged! Do you have alocal quilt shop that offers beginning quilting classes? I made 11 quilts before I finally took a beginning quilting class. It made a HUGE difference. You learn correct cutting and seaming proceedures and get lots of tips on how to do things to avoid frustration. I highly recommend classes.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:11 PM

Pinning itself can cause shifting as we prepare. Take a deep breath and and know that you can and everyone can quilt!

My first applique quilt hung 16' high on a wall inside my store so the customers couldn't see it up close - we all have projects that make us doubt ourselves... hang in there doll :)