Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Waste >

Fabric Waste

Fabric Waste

Old 11-29-2010, 08:09 PM

I suppose I'm another one of the "horders". I have actually started cutting foundation blocks from muslin and try to add to the "crazy quilt" blocks with scraps. I also try to sub-cut into blocks any left over strips I have. I do take 1.5" squares and sew them together as thread savers. One day I will have more than enough for a really scrapy "penny" quilt...

I always seem to find some use for those pieces or strips..
can't waste anything since hubby is on a "be frugal" trip...(he smokes and I bite my tongue!) :?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 PM
lue

I was JUST thinking about this last night. I save all scraps, many of which are useful in scrap quilts. Tiny pieces I use as the lead to begin sewing a row. Even smaller pieces I'm going to put out on my deck this spring so the birds can use it to build nests. I'll get to see my scraps all over the neighborhood. I read that tip here and I LOVE IT!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Banned

If I know it is to small and I will never use it I collect it and put in in a bin by my fireplace. Fabric scraps make great fire starter. All my thread goes in there too along with the link from my dryer.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Sis

Location: Born a SE Ohio Buckeye,now a Middle Tennessee Volunteer

My MIL uses the used fabric softener sheets as her foundation piece for sewing her scraps and/or crumbs to. She was one of 11 children raised on a farm during the depression. I have learned so much about being frugal from her. She has even made quilts from old h.s. band wool uniforms thus saving them from the local landfill.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:50 PM

I don't generally buy large yardage pieces. Only when I buy backings. I buy per project using a pattern I get what is called for then add at least 1/2 or yard extra for errors. There have been times when I can get a real good price I will buy 3 - 4 yards. Leftovers I then make small zippered Hum Bug bags using quilted fabric I have machine quilted. These I make in all different sizes depending on the size of scraps I have (this also uses up the batting scraps). I also make coasters using 5" squares of fabric and batting as well as tissue (Kleenex) covers using 5 X 7 fabric cut for the little pocket tissues. I cut up these sizes when I finish a project and always have these items on hand if I want a small hostess gifts. The school my grandchildren go to can no longer take food treats on their birthdays and I have made these tissue covers using novelty fabrics and they just love them. One project I have in my head now is to make a Dear Jane quilt and make a block from each project I have made in the past. Hooked rugs or place matts use up a great deal of scraps as well. As one member of my quilting group always says, "remember those scraps you have also cost you up to $10.00 per yard!" I am always looking for different ways to use up my 'leftovers'. I like the mug rugs I have been seen on this board which I have made a few.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:43 AM
lue

What's a "crumb?'
Old 11-30-2010, 12:54 AM

I feel the same!
To those who toss there will always be one of us. This is a great place to post scraps. I look at scraps even under an inch as free fabric. One year I saved all that I would normally toss to made seven lap quilts for charity that year.
Happy scrapping,postage is a small price for some great new scraps.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:28 AM

Maybe we should ask on out secret pal form if you accept 'crumbs'? I have seen so many string quilts on here that are just lovely, I would bet we could find homes for them.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:27 AM

Hi Shelly
I have like a gazillion 100% cotton fabric pieces that you are more than welcome too. I thought I would be using them, but I don't think so. PM me and we'll get something arranged. There are some really beautiful pieces that I think you will enjoy.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by gayle bong
Originally Posted by starshine
Originally Posted by ktbb
Also, do you cut individual pieces, or do you stip quilt? Strip quilting can often save fabric.
It seems to me there is more waste in strip cutting. If you are cutting each piece of a patch individually (fussy cutting) you can line the template up and have very little waste. With strip cutting there is the cutting off the ends to line up and cutting sections to line up the ruler for triangles etc.
I just don't understand this comment. What does it mean to cut "sections" to line up the ruler for triangles etc. when cutting from strips. It sounds like someone needs a lesson in cutting. Do you mean there is lots of extra left from the strip after you cut the pieces you need? Or do u mean the useless ends of strip sets? To me strip piecing is when sewing strips together first then cutting your units from that.
I've watched "fons & porter" cut fabric using their strip method. First the cut the end of the strip to even it up, and if they are cutting triangles they cut the edge of the strip to have the correct line for the triangle, and they refer to these cuts as waste.
If you are cutting a triangle using a template, and cutting individually (fussy cut as some call it) you only cut the fabric you need, you can line up the template along the previous cut.