Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Considering dropping Crafter's Choice Account >

Considering dropping Crafter's Choice Account

Considering dropping Crafter's Choice Account

Old 11-30-2010, 08:12 AM

I ended up dropping my account after years. A few years ago finding books could be difficult. Now there's amazon, cheaper with a very large selection.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:58 AM

I have enough kits and ufo's in my cupboard that I can have my own crafters' choice selection. No additional cost needed as I've already spent it once. I wouldn't hesitate to drop my membership if I were in that situation. I used to jump on the band wagon, but have learned to "think about it" which usually takes care of the impulse.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Ida

Originally Posted by Mariposa
I dropped out years ago. Their books are either not interesting, or way to spendy! Can buy elsewhere for less.
Same here.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:56 AM

I cancelled my membership also... it was too difficult to remember to return the postcard declining thier "picks" and the postage was getting to be ridiculous - I would send one back only to find another right behind it. I didn't bother trying to return anything I received that I didn't order... I was just happy to fulfill my committment & move on. The items I didn't want made nice gifts, albeit expensive ones.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:14 AM

After a year I cancelled my account. I looked back at the books I purchased and never used most of them. I prefer quilting magazines.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:43 AM

If you really want quilting books there are a few websites that trade used books. I've seen all kinds of crafting books on them. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention them here, so you can PM me for the names.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by craftyone27
I'm looking for some feedback on this, but I am currently inclined to cancel my Crafter's Choice book club membership. I have not been too happy with most of their monthly selections and have ordered very few books from them since my introductory shipment. They also really love to ship you books that you don't want and then really drag with crediting your account when you send the shipment back to them. I have also noticed lately that even their "members only" prices are a bit high. I just ordered a OBW book from Overstock.com for $15, Crafter's Choice wants $22 for same book. I also found it cheaper on Amazon and Connecting Threads websites. Can anyone think of a really great reason to keep my account? - I'm at a loss here.
I have been a member for years. I won't join a club where they send you books automatically. I never have to send the cards back. They do have some good bargains when they have a buy one get one free. I only get ones I can't find anywhere else. My tastes have changed since I first joined and find that if I haven't bought a book in a while they send me some really great offer.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:05 PM

I belong to both Crafters Choice and Homestyle Books.
They send me an email when the new selections come out. Usually there is plenty of time to decline the monthly offer. I get both of the offer emails abouth the same time so it is easy to decline. I keep the membership mostly for the special deals they run.

They run some really great offers occasionally. I just bought 4 new books and spent about $30. They had free shipping and 60% of the publishers prices. You can't find any deal better than that. I ordered them on Wednesday and received them today.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:08 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

It depends on how many points you have....if you have eight or more you can get a good discount. I would use it, then cancel. I'm about to.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

I dropped my account after full filling my obligation because the books you buy to complete the obligation has to be over a certain price per book. I didn't like that at all and it's buried in very fine print, if you can find it. I wouldn't recommend this club at all.