Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Waste >

Fabric Waste

Fabric Waste

Old 11-30-2010, 06:45 AM

I save ALL pieces for stuffing other items.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 AM

I have been trying to get into the habit of cutting the scraps up right away into whatever size strips or squares that work and then I keep them in individual shoe totes with the sizes marked. Any of the selvage ends or small strips I put in a bag and give to my granddaughter to use in art class at school. The younger grades sometimes paste strips on paper to make a design. Otherwise the long selvages can also be used to tie up plants in your garden.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 AM

Those long, skinny pieces left over make beautiful gift wrapping ribbons. Just dip them in heavy starch, hang them to dry, and iron--or don't iron if they dry with few wrinkles. Then use them like any other ribbon for tying/decorating gifts.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:21 PM
JAS

I'd be more than happy to pay postage for your waste pieces of good quilting fabrics and wool fabric scraps.
OH,to toss what a waste..with being the prices we have to pay for fabrics. I use a lot of smaller pieces of left over fabrics for applique work, paper pieceing, tooth-brush rugs, pin cushions I am looking for wools right now and not having much luck finding. I'm not willing to pay $9 and up for a few inches of wool fabric, when you are only going to cut a couple leaves etc from it,be sides if I happen to find any it is maybe a handful of colors to choose from.
Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.com has several patterns you can use these pieces in.Free downloads. Maverick Stars quilt I have made of hers and it used up lots of bits. Little 4 and 9 -patch blocks work great as fillers and corner blocks, be cute in pot holders I would thing, too. I've made QOV blocks (r/w/b fabrics) and a quilt for a organization raffle (applique w/9-patchs) both had bits of waste fabrics used in them...
JAS
Old 11-30-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Babs194068
If you throw your small pieces in an old pillow case and when it is full take it to an animal shelter for bedding for the animals, you have wasted nothing.
There is a group of ladies that meet from time to time at the LQS to sew beds for the local humane society.

The LQS puts out a weekly newsletter and when their supply of scraps donated by area quilters and crafters gets low, she puts out a plea in her newsletter for a few weeks and they get a wonderful resonse.

They just ask that you cut your scraps into no bigger than 2" squares and that would just take a snap and be part of your cleaning up after a project. Check with your local HS to see if they have this type of program going.

:thumbup:
Old 11-30-2010, 06:46 PM

We have a lady at guild that takes anyone's scraps and makes beautiful placemats, runners etc. She always wants scraps.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 PM

Shelly,
Send me an address & I will ship a box ASAP. [email protected]
Old 11-30-2010, 07:45 PM

If you didn't see my latermpost, send me an address & I'll pack up a box asap. [email protected]
Old 12-01-2010, 10:33 AM

Gee, Edie I think most people missed what you were asking.
I read every word . I am not able to calculate for you but I too have had this dilema.
At least we had a discussion on scraps as I too hate to see
anything go to the landfils when some others have a need.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:32 AM

I should have included my [email protected]. I will be away for 10 days but will respond to any messages later.
Quilts of Valor is such a wonderful program, we send quilts to injured servicemen and women in hospitals all over US and Eur. They are really appreciated; we know, we hand delivered some in spring to Ft. Knox, KTY. Many tears were shed by both givers and receivers. Any and all 100% cotton scraps and strings are used up in my scrappy quilts---the more colors the better! This QoV program has become my 'mission' in my retirement, also my joy. Thanks for listening to my plea!