Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anybody keeping up with Sister Wives?? >

Anybody keeping up with Sister Wives??

Anybody keeping up with Sister Wives??

Old 11-30-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I mean the reality shows where they are pitted against each other, fighting to win, backstabbing, etc. It is not something that should be glorified and winning by any means is the objective.
I agree with that the ones that are demeaning and degrading are absolutely trash tv.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 PM

I watch "Sister Wives". I do not like the show or anything about the FLDS and the polygamist lifestyle. I watch it because I am looking for the "chinks in the armor". A lie will expose itself every time....and that's what I'm waiting for.

I am intrigued by cults and their holds over the followers, and this is why the show interests me.

If anyone is interested in learning about how "your tax dollars are at work" in the FLDS, or how that cult operates, I would encourage you to read one or both of the following books:

Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer

Escape by Carolyn Jessop.

I have read another book written by a lady who was brought up in the FLDS and got out...but I can't remember the name. She recounts the sexual abuse rampant in that cult in her book.

As for "your tax dollars at work"...only the first wife is legally married so all the subsequent wives are "single mothers" and qualify for aid. Also, since most/all of the people who live in the FLDS communities are FLDS members, the police force, school system, etc. in the communities are all funded by the government but run by FLDS members.

It's very interesting and I would definitely encourage people to read up and inform themselves of how this is allowed to take place here in America where polygamy is "illegal". It is an eye-opener, to say the least.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:42 PM

I have watched this show in a bit of awe at the lifestyle choice by these women. i do not recall naything being said about them being on welfare. He is employed in advertising and is well-paid and Janelle has a good job. Up until recently Merri was employed - she lost her job after the show went on TV. The only one who is at home full-time is Christine.. They have asked the older kids what they think about the lifestyle - some want it as adults and some want a monogamous relationship. I don'tagree w/the choice but it is their life and their choice. do feel a bit sorry for the kids but they do live in a community where it is more acceptable than it woyld be where I live. Just gotta say - live and let live.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I mean the reality shows where they are pitted against each other, fighting to win, backstabbing, etc. It is not something that should be glorified and winning by any means is the objective.
I agree. I would find those shows more interesting if they weren't about losing. The losers are the focus. Watch the end of Project Runway. I would rather watch shows that keep all contestants until the end and judge them on the entire season. But that's just me, I like to watch talent mature. I'm surprised the producers don't think like me. They could keep the flakes and the drama jerks until the very end.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:09 PM

YUCK and PUKE are correct.
I saw them on one of the talk shows before it aired
and I could not believe this was going on TV.
It is illegal - where is the law???
I did not last 5 minutes on the 1st episode.
No, he does not support them.
All of the wives but one work,
the odd one out keeps the kids.
J J
Old 11-30-2010, 04:35 PM

I saw a guy with multiple wives on Oprah today, could not believe the softball questions she was asking them. Like it was just a normal lifestyle. How about "Is this the future you see for your daughters?" and "What is going to happen to your sons?" and "Why do you think babies are born 50/50 girls and boys?"
Old 11-30-2010, 05:41 PM

I watched but OMG i couldn't agree with anything i was seeing. If it's ilegal how come somebody dosn't get arested? these woman were raised in poligimist holmes so this is what they know. But I just think it's wrong in so many way's.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
Originally Posted by Riversong
Yuck! I watched it a couple of times. They are all mental. Between them and the Duggars,,,,oh well, 'nuff said!
I like the Duggers. Jim Bob is loving and supportive of his wife I don't think you can say that of the sister wives show. They may have a ton of kids (and that's kind of crazy) but there is no moral depravity which I believe is definitely a description of polygamist marriage. If you watch that show in this last season you've seen more of Jim Bob doing what he can with the preemie and encouraging Michelle to get out of the house. We've also seen him take all the kids but Josie (the preemie) on two trips. That's a lot for one parent to do but it's allowed Michelle to have some quiet time with the baby.
I have to disagree with you on this one. I don't care for the Duggars and their lifestyle anymore than the people on Sister Wives. It is still extreme and based on a fundamentalist point of view - all the extreme groups seem to like to keep their women bare foot and pregnant. If they wanted a large family, there are a lot of children in foster care who would love a permanent home.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:58 PM

One Man, One Wife!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Banned

what about the woman who had the partical sex change but didn't have her female organs removed? then they said a man having a baby. what hog wash it isn't a man.