Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter >

Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter

Think I'm Just Not Meant to Be a Quilter

Old 11-30-2010, 11:33 AM

Relax and have fun. Quilting is not meant to be perfect- whatever you do don't worry about all the perfect matching pieces. Just enjoy the process of putting your ideas together for your enjoyment.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:08 PM

Remember...we don't make mistakes "WE CREATE". Just have fun with it and it will be alright!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:07 PM

If you can fix it, it is not a mistake.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:14 PM

Someone may have already suggested this but you could try strip quilting until you get more comfortable with cutting and seaming. I do that when I'm stressed and need mindless sewing. The strips don't have to be straight and the seams don't have to be straight either ... very relaxing to sew. Hang it there, it will get better.

Susan
Old 11-30-2010, 02:17 PM

Hang in there. I haven't quilted for awhile when at that time I was a newbie then I quilt and about 2 years ago picked it up again, Now I have Arthritis in my hands so some things I now cant do. I have made about 5 quilts and last was a quilt as you go and that was a learning experience for me I was glad I was thru with it. I didn't get all the directions properly I may try it again You will learn.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:42 PM

Thank you all for your input. You've taken me from near tears to smiles. Your support and encouragement is greatly appreciated. I recently purchased a 1/4" foot and that is greatly helping me with my seams. I did take a beginning quilting class at a LQS and it was a nightmare. My main reason for taking it was to get some help with rotary cutting, maintaining the 1/4" seams consistently and was given this instruction when cutting strips with the rotary blade, "Oh you don't have to worry about cutting anything straight, we'll square up the quilt at the end." Ummm, okay. The teacher had just had a death in her family and probably should have just canceled the class as she was wanting to talk about her loss and her grief rather than anything to do with quilting. I have lost loved ones also and don't begrudge her time to grieve, but we definitely did not get what we paid for and that was a quilting class. We didn't even get halfway done with our project and the class was over (and yes, we all did our prep work at home in between classes). Since that's the only shop that gives lessons without driving 45 minutes to an hour, that's the only place I've tried. Anyway, you've all encouraged me to keep going and enjoy the process. I am finding that I'm addicted to fabric and am working on building a stash. I will post some pictures soon and show you what I'm working on. Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:43 PM

I like to think of my quilts as comfort quilts. They aren't perfect, never will be, but they will keep the people I give them to comfortably warm. Don't be hard on yourself. Each of us are our own worse critic. Keep doing what makes you happy and those that you give them to will be happy, too. A quilt is a gift from the heart.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:09 PM

my 2 cents worth. do you have a senior citizen center near you? many of the ladies have quilting projects. some are piecing, some are hand quilting. one thing for certain, any one of them would be happy to take you under their wing, and show you about anything you want to try. I have taught other crafts at some of these centers, and believe me, these ladies have it down pat. Not perfect, but really helpful and enjoyable. best of luck. keep quilting!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by moonwolf47
I like to think of my quilts as comfort quilts. They aren't perfect, never will be, but they will keep the people I give them to comfortably warm. Don't be hard on yourself. Each of us are our own worse critic. Keep doing what makes you happy and those that you give them to will be happy, too. A quilt is a gift from the heart.

Goes for me too!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:17 PM

Go to downy fabric softener and down load the 9 patch quilt pattern and make a couple. /they are the best thing to do to get you in the swing of things. If you want they will send you the top fabric for free and you will do just great and they will get some quilts for the cause. My husband just started quilting and I just got serious about quilting and this is a great way to get the basics down. ENJOY