Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric moratorium >

Fabric moratorium

Fabric moratorium

Old 12-01-2010, 03:49 AM

You are all so brave!
Old 12-01-2010, 03:49 AM

This is a snap for me....ya right...here's the reason.

My mentor & her DH went into an assisted living situation. She told her DD to give her quilting supplies to me. LADIES, there was a cedar chest, plus 2 large trunk of material. If I ever get the material washed, I don't know where I will put it, and she actually had some feed sacks in the cedar chest. I just sit down and cried. Such a blessing to bestow on a friend. I will see her Saturday, and I hope that the crying will be over, I am very touched with her generosity.

I asked her DD if she wanted part of the material, or if I could give her some cash for it, and she said, "No, I've got a job and kids to raise, it's all yours". How do you thank a Mentor for help like this?

That is the reason I won't be buying new material...well...perhaps some solids to go with all the prints.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:35 AM

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:47 AM

Don't think I can do this. My sister and I are going on a quilting cruise in August and we intend to buy fabric at each of the 3 ports where we stop for the day.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:47 AM

I will try but it is going to very very hard :)
Old 12-01-2010, 04:52 AM

Had a very similiar discussion with a quiltie friend, my question was, "Do you have enough fabric in your home to keep you busy for one year?" The answer for both of us was yes. I may need to break the pledge if my DD and future DSinL pick out the quilt they want. What it does mean is I am not able to participate in my guilds mystery quilt because I know already I do not have the yardage required for that quilt and I might not be able to join in the NYE mystery but it does mean I may be able to get a few done that I already have started or bought. Thanks for the challenge. Oh, if Muslin goes on sale 50% off, I might need to buy that as I have less than a yard left and I do like it for foundations, would that break the rule?

Jeannette in NJ, USA
Old 12-01-2010, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiQuilter
Originally Posted by AnnaK
Maybe those of us who are going to do it should form a group ( I don't know how to do this on this board) so that we can keep track of each other's progress, encourage each other and show and tell our creations. How does that sound?
Great idea. Does anyone know how to contact an Administrator to discuss options?
You beat me to it,, just a suggestion, how about we arrange to "meet" the 1st of every month to show what we have made and to encourage each other like an AA group but an FHA group (Fabric Hoarders Anonymous) :) :thumbup:
KiwiQuilter I think all you will have to do is post a new topic on the 1st of every month. Just make sure everyone knows the name of the topic.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:56 AM

I am in. i have enough fabric to last my lifetime. you said we could buy batting and backing right?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:04 AM

Funny you should ask. I had to do this all this year. Taxes are due Nov.1st. and money has gotten less and less. It is amazing what I found in my stash to use. If I needed something special, I either used something else, made do with what I have or put it away for another time. When you HAVE to save, it works. In the fabric shops, try earmuffs.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:05 AM

I practice your moratorium already. Only buy what is absolutely needed, like white thread, bias tape and stitch witchery.

I'm extending my Pot Holder trade to be "Pot Holder and Pot Pincher Trade." Since I'm following your moratorium, please join my trade.
rettie vgrama

Originally Posted by KiwiQuilter
Does anyone want to join me on a fabric moratorium.

What I'm thinking about is this...

* no fabric purchases to start a new quilt top
* from now until 1 November 2011

What you can buy is this - items to finish an existing quilt project (either WIP or UFO):

* batting
* backing or binding fabric
* fabric (if nothing in your stash will work)
* thread or notions

Anyone else interested in joining me?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-136542.jpe
Views:	60
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	136547