Stockings?? New or reuse??

Old 11-30-2010, 10:14 PM

Same ones every year for me and dh. I have upgraded both sons to adult ones and put their old (child) ones in their memory boxes.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:17 AM

Suzan, This is a good idea. I bought my son a 5 foot stocking when he was young and I like the idea of using it as a decoration, now. We filled it for him when he was young. Thanks for the idea. Eiltcoq.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:27 AM

My SIL gives me a new one too but we use the same one over. I have updated over the years. Now they are mainly for decoration. When the kids were little we always used them. It was so much fun to have them wake up and run to the stocking to see what they could find. It was a challenge to find something different but small enough to fit in the stocking. Even CD's or DVD were too large.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:54 AM

We reuse them also. sometimes people do use stockings as gift wrap though, but I doubt if they expect you to replace your traditional Christmas stocking with theirs!

We had the same cool old flannel ones for years as kids. When I was in high school and learned to sew, I made everyone new patchwork Christmas stockings. We continued to use them until we got married and left home for our own homes.I think Christmas stockings are a wonderful tradition!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 AM

My stocking is 54 years old. Only one I've ever had.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:24 PM

When the children were small, I made all of us stockings from a patchwork fabric topped with a red or green velvet cuff with her/his name embroidered on the cuff. They were rimmed in different braids or laces. Luckily, I bought extra fabric because we kept having children.

After the children left and took their stockings, I scrapped my husband's and mine and made crazy quilt ones in ivory satins, brocades and laces. When my husband left, I gave his to the dog I adopted to replace him. No name to change because these aren't embroidered. I dipped dog biscuits in gold paint to trim the dog's stocking.

Reuse, reuse , reuse!