Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do we give quilts? >

Why do we give quilts?

Why do we give quilts?

Old 12-01-2010, 09:41 AM

I expect my quilts to be well loved ,well used.I made a baby quilt for a friends grandson a while ago she was going to put it up just for special use,no no no the quilt was ment to dragged around slept on spit up on and bring comfort.She let him have it and one of t best pictures I have is of him and his older brother napping on it.how sweet. :-D
Old 12-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by starshine
When I was younger I would put my treasured items away so they wouldn't get broken or ruined. I guess to me they were too precious for every day. Then I read an article by Erma Bombeck (after she was diagnosed with cancer) about how she saved the good china for special celebrations, and her special perfume bottle was still full because she was saving it for special occasions...etc. and she suggested we use our "special" things in our living every day so we could enjoy them rather than pass them on unused or hardly used after we die. So then I started useing things more often. But when my aunt died and one of the things I received was a bowl that she always put the mashed potatoes in for holiday and family gatherings (she took care of grandma so all the aunts & uncles would gather at grandma's house) when I was a child growing up. And I liked having it as a memento of that time. My husband and I were so far away from there that we had never spent a holiday there. When telling a friend I had gotten this bowl and a few other items, she said 'and use it often yourself-that's how memories are made. And if it breaks, you and your family will have memories of using it too. But what memories will your kids have of it and her if it is in the cupboard and never used?'. These lessons taught me to use my "special" things. When I have read on this board of quilters commenting someone is not quilt worthy because they put a quilt away on a shelf and never use it, I wonder how many of those folks are saving it because it is so special to them rather than not using it because they don't care to have it. If you find someone has put your quilt on a shelf or in a drawer, let them know you would like to see them use it so they can have memories.

Here,Here, I totally agree.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by starshine
When I was younger I would put my treasured items away so they wouldn't get broken or ruined. I guess to me they were too precious for every day. Then I read an article by Erma Bombeck (after she was diagnosed with cancer) about how she saved the good china for special celebrations, and her special perfume bottle was still full because she was saving it for special occasions...etc. and she suggested we use our "special" things in our living every day so we could enjoy them rather than pass them on unused or hardly used after we die. So then I started useing things more often. But when my aunt died and one of the things I received was a bowl that she always put the mashed potatoes in for holiday and family gatherings (she took care of grandma so all the aunts & uncles would gather at grandma's house) when I was a child growing up. And I liked having it as a memento of that time. My husband and I were so far away from there that we had never spent a holiday there. When telling a friend I had gotten this bowl and a few other items, she said 'and use it often yourself-that's how memories are made. And if it breaks, you and your family will have memories of using it too. But what memories will your kids have of it and her if it is in the cupboard and never used?'. These lessons taught me to use my "special" things. When I have read on this board of quilters commenting someone is not quilt worthy because they put a quilt away on a shelf and never use it, I wonder how many of those folks are saving it because it is so special to them rather than not using it because they don't care to have it. If you find someone has put your quilt on a shelf or in a drawer, let them know you would like to see them use it so they can have memories.
MY thoughts almost to a T! Once a gift is given, forget it, and be happy you gave. It is not yours anymore and the recipient will use it as they see fit or Not, so don't agonize over it. I know the hours that go into a quilt are a piece of yourself and you hope the receiver will appreciate all your effort, but THAT is not the reason to give any gift. We give to make someone happy or share and are pleased when they enjoy the gift, if you can't let go completely, and have to worry about it afterwards then don't select that particular type of a gift. Try food instead. :-D
Old 12-01-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
My only complaint is when I give a quilt away and it is turned around and donated to Goodwill. Yes, that happened once with an acquaintance. I made her new baby a beautiful quilt that I even posted on this board. A few weeks later I saw it in the back of her van in a box marked Goodwill. I was so very hurt! I guess it did not match the baby's nursery. I hope someone at Goodwill fell in love with it.
That probibly would have bothered me, but hopefully went to some one who needed it !! For some little one to drag around and love.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:28 AM

I want my quilts to be used and maybe abused. Mostly I give baby quilts to my grand nieces and nephews. I always wash them and tell the mothers, "Please use this, let them crawl on it, throw up on it, but please use this." My niece is expecting #3 in January and we will not be here. I told her the quilt is already finished. She said she used Gavin's quilt this summer at the beach, because the sand didn't stick to it. I'm okay with that, but I know some would cringe. Now, my MIL, I doubt has ever really used the couch quilt I made her for naps. It sits neatly folded over a chair in the livingroom. That's okay too. A SIL has to keep her quilts up high or her dogs would chew them up. At least she respects them enough to do that. To each their own.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Once given out, I wish them well and can only Hope not abused, but well used to the point of scraps.

Drop Cloth/ oil change = abuse
Back of a Truck or behind the seat = used
Snuggle under with fido = well used
Old 12-01-2010, 10:45 AM

Before family issues tore us apart, I was friends with my EX's wife.
She wanted a quilt made by me and I had her buy the fabric from Keepsake and bring it to me. I then made the most beautiful quilt that I could, had it professionally quilted and returned it to her. Fast forward a few weeks...I was at their home and there was the quilt in a GLASS QUILT CASE! It looked great but I wanted her to use it! She said it was a work of art and was going to treat it as such.
But as you said once given it is mine no more.
At least my daughters and grandchildren use them up and I offer free repairs for life "of course"!
XOXOXO Subee
http://www.subeesews.com
Old 12-01-2010, 10:49 AM

When I give someone a quilt I tell them to "use" it - not put it away. I feel they are to keep you warm - I tell my daughters and granddaughters when they use the quilt it is a hug from me.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:20 AM

I expect you to use and love it taking proper care of it. Baby quilts on the other hand I know will get lots of use and abuse. My own children have proven that to me. I do let people know how to wash and dry them. (personally I think they should be line dried and not put in the dryer)
Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 AM

About a year ago, I gave two little abused girls quilts. They are being taken care of by their nana and recently their nana washed them as she often does and ended up on wrong beds. One of the girls reminded her right away which one her aunt had given her. Those are comfort quilts for the little girls. Used plenty. We hope and pray the father can never get custody but if they do, I hope they will be allowed to keep their security blankets. Quilts are to be used and I tell people that when I give them away. When I see them well worn that is okay. Better to be worn out than to be old and unloved