Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-30-2010, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the sites, I've printed the W8 manual and gone to the other site to see how it is threaded. I don't have the plate with the patent dates but do have one glass foot and several of the attachments. I'll have to sit down and play with everything, hopefully this weekend after I get some of the dirt and grime off of it.

P.S. Hubby is definitely a keeper - 37th anniv next month - I was a child bride of 12 LOL (you did notice I am from WV right?
but I don't want to perpetuate the myth that we all are toothless, barefoot, pregnant hillbillies!)
If I can only get him interested in these machines too!!!
Cindy
Old 11-30-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by purplefiend
I pieced,free motion quilted and sewed the binding with my Singer 237 treadle(zig zag). Its a great machine for FMQ.
Sharon W. in Texas
That is the machine I am using in my treadle right now! It is a really neat machine to use and I am doing my wifes Christmas quilt on it.

Billy
Mine is in a very old Singer coffin top treadle cabinet. My DS made a new drip pan for it(someone took it out along with the hinge pins). I finally found some kind soul who had a pair of hinge pins for my cabinet.

hand crafted treadle cabinet drip pan
[ATTACH=CONFIG]136419[/ATTACH]

very old coffin top treadle, Molly dog in the background.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]136420[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-136413.jpe
Views:	241
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	136418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-136414.jpe
Views:	106
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	136419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-136415.jpe
Views:	109
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	136420  
Old 11-30-2010, 07:19 PM

Sharon,
Your Singer coffin is beautiful!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Yeah, There were 4 drill bits sitting down there. I think someone didn't know how to take off the face-plate or some kids had fun dropping bits in.

While cleaning the machine, I also discovered that the screw for the needle holder is missing, one of the wires is broken, and parts of the tension (spring and nut) are missing.

I could replace them, but I already have my machines that I love to quilt with. After reading yesterdays posts, I thought it would be fun to just play with the machine for a day and see how it sews...oh well...that will have to be in the future.
I have a parts machine that should have most of those parts that you need I will look at it in a bit and see what is there and if you PM me a list of parts I can see what I have.

Billy
Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Sharon,
Your Singer coffin is beautiful!
Thanks! It sews so nicely too, no clanking of the pedal.
:-D
Old 12-01-2010, 05:32 AM

Sharon your machine is very pretty. You did a good job. I hope to get my 66 red eye looking like that this spring. Too cold now it's snowing here today.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Thanks for the sites, I've printed the W8 manual and gone to the other site to see how it is threaded. I don't have the plate with the patent dates but do have one glass foot and several of the attachments. I'll have to sit down and play with everything, hopefully this weekend after I get some of the dirt and grime off of it.

P.S. Hubby is definitely a keeper - 37th anniv next month - I was a child bride of 12 LOL (you did notice I am from WV right?
but I don't want to perpetuate the myth that we all are toothless, barefoot, pregnant hillbillies!)
If I can only get him interested in these machines too!!!
Cindy
Be careful if your Hubby does get interested in the "old girls" because it can get addictive. My Hubby has a long list of names and phone numbers of people that have an old machine they might want to sell. We already have toooo many. But I have sewed on everyone and enjoy them as much as he does. :lol: :lol: Is it snowing in your part of the state?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by darlin121
Hello everyone! Can I join in? I take my coffee black with sugar. I'll even bring my own rocker. lol
Well this has been an exciting three days! I haven't been a member of this board for long and I'm trying to catch up. I was reading the boards and remarked to my husband that I wish I had an old treadle machine. He said "You do." I didn't know what he was talking about. He went into his garage and about an hour later he comes out with a treadle machine that belonged to his Grandmother. It's a model 66-1 born sometime in 1903 number K1221977. Then he says "If you like old machines hang on!", he disappears for about 30 minutes into his garage and comes out with a model 128 electric born in 1922 serial number G9227999! THEN he goes back into his garage and another 30 mins. goes by and out comes an electric 1925 model 127 serial no. AA786804! I'm doing the Happy Dance!!!! Now, they are in okay shape but desparately need some TLC. I am determined to restore these babies as much as I can. I do remember seeing a tutorial or board message on how to clean these up but can't find it again. Can someone tell me where to find it? In the meantime I plan to worship at this mans feet! How lucky can I get? I wonder what else he has in that garage of his?!
Welcome darlin121. Sounds like you are going to fit in just fine with this group of quilters. Are we going to get to see pics of your machines?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by darlin121
Thanks. I printed it out for future use.
Would anyone know where the other tutorials are:
Electrical?
Cleaning part2?
Timing of Treadles?
Reassembly?

You should not have to retime any of these machines. The 66 is the only one that the timing could get out of whack and I can walk you through the process of getting it back in time if needed be.

But that was definitely a great day with hubby dragging out all the sewing machines!! All my garage has in it is old cars and tools!!

Billy
Billy:
I've noticed lately a lot of people talking about having to re-time their machines. Do featherweights need to be re-timed? How difficult would that be? I'm still saving for shipping so I can get a new paint job on one of my FWs. I'm also still working up the nerve to service them myself, LOL! One day I will either ship them to you or I will get off my butt and do it myself when I work up the nerve. LOL!!!
Doug
Old 12-01-2010, 11:37 AM

Hey Billy:
Just wondering, have you ever found the button I need for my foot pedal controller? I've been watching for one on eBay and CL and nobody seems to have one. I've also checked out a few FW websites and they don't seem to have one either. Maybe I should just consider getting a whole new pedal and skip the button all together, huh???
Doug