Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS Survival >

LQS Survival

LQS Survival

Old 12-01-2010, 07:45 PM

Bottom line is we need both kinds of stores - without the Joann/Hancocks/Walmart options, imagine what the prices of fabric would be. Then the demand would drop and the variety of fabrics available would shrink.

What's likely to happen in the future is that the LQS 'storefront' will be gone but they'll still operate online. Less square footage and staffing woes should keep them in business for a long time.

IMHO
Old 12-01-2010, 09:20 PM

have you tried buying fabric on ebay. there are some nice shops with good prices and name brand fabrics, kaufman miller, hoffman and etc. a lot of it is" buy it now", where you don't have to bid on it. i buy there alot. just a idea for you. i'm in the same boat as you, a widow who lives on ss and a small pension so must be careful but so addicted to pretty fabrics..
Old 12-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Dee

I have been using my stash, as social security will not pay more for my addiction. All quilt shops are 50 to 75 miles from me. If I really need something, I have to order online.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by amma
There is no way I can afford the $9-$12yd at my LQS... it is just waaaay out of the budget.
I would love to support them, but I have to support me too :wink: :D:D:D
Well said, and the price of quilt fabric is going up very soon. Some is already 11.99 a yard
Old 12-02-2010, 02:30 AM

Where do you find the fabric on your site? Do you sell on line?

Originally Posted by lllog
I know that quilters are struggling, arn't we all. Thats why the majority of our fabrics sell for $4.50 yd and we have a sale room strating at $3.49 yd. I'm lucky because I have the shop in my home and don't have to pay $1000 or more a month for rent and utilities.

We got to warehouses to purchase fabric and seldom buy from fabric reps. That means that our fabric is usually last years, but I don't think that quilters vare. What they want and look for is the pattern and quality along with a good price.

I'm afraid that some LQS will close this year, because they aren't as financialy stable as we are, and we all lose when that happens. I believe that the more LQS that are out there the better, and believe in working with my fellow LQS's to bring quilting to new quilters everwhere.

In our area we all fill a nitch and usually don't offer the same things.

We also ship throughout the US t5o quilters that live too far from LQS's.

Lanny
Quiltedoaks.com
Old 12-02-2010, 02:43 AM

I'd love to support my LQS, but on my fixed income there is no way I can afford $25 - $35 per metre for fabric. Instead I shop on line where I can by the same fabric for less than $8 per yard. One local online store charges a flat rate $7.95 postage even for a packet of needles!
Old 12-02-2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
I think it's great that many ppl can afford to pay the $9 yd & up at LQS.Helps the economy,but for myself....fabric is bought on sale.
I wouldn't buy a purse or a chair without shopping around, same goes for fabrics.
Nothing stays the same forever,try buying USA made fabric.Maybe all shops will eventually be on line only.Fine with me...better prices & shop from home.
Many LQS also have websites and will be happy to ship something to you in a kit if you know what you want. There is one I love here in Inman SC a tiny old town with a great LQS and she has a $5 coupon online. Others in the area do the same. So whether you can physically get to certain shops or not, you can always order from them. Many others also have 10%+ discounts for retirees etc.

I do support my LQShops because I don't want to see them go away. I don't mind paying a little more for the service and for the help, and I can always call with a question. :)
Old 12-02-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterChick
Originally Posted by plainpat
I think it's great that many ppl can afford to pay the $9 yd & up at LQS.Helps the economy,but for myself....fabric is bought on sale.
I wouldn't buy a purse or a chair without shopping around, same goes for fabrics.
Nothing stays the same forever,try buying USA made fabric.Maybe all shops will eventually be on line only.Fine with me...better prices & shop from home.
Many LQS also have websites and will be happy to ship something to you in a kit if you know what you want. There is one I love here in Inman SC a tiny old town with a great LQS and she has a $5 coupon online. Others in the area do the same. So whether you can physically get to certain shops or not, you can always order from them. Many others also have 10%+ discounts for retirees etc.

I do support my LQShops because I don't want to see them go away. I don't mind paying a little more for the service and for the help, and I can always call with a question. :)
Several times I've been in my LQS and hear the sales gal take a phone call from a customer placing an order over the phone. Before that, I was unaware that they shipped fabric. I'm not sure what they charge for that service. But that makes it more available for everyone.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:54 AM

Everyone can't afford the best so sometimes next best is good enough. If I were making something to enter a show or contest or auction I would buy the best.
My quilts are sewn with walmart & Joanns and sometimes I buy the really wide fabric for the backs at the quilt shop.
My moms quilts were made from used clothes and they lasted a loooong time(untill her later yrs when she could afford better).
Long story short buy what you can/want to afford, just keep quilting and sharing.......
Old 12-02-2010, 06:56 AM
JJs
Banned

we live in the boonies and woods and there isn't a "L"QS for over 80 miles - when you have to drive that far to even get there, what 'help' are you going to be getting?
I don't like the tone when somebody says something like - 'you need to support the LQS come he^* or high water otherwise you're garbage for not keeping them in business'
Some people just flat out do not have the wherewithall to pay over $12 a yard for fabric - not when milk is over $3 a gallon and a loaf of bread $2.50...
If you are independently wealthy, have nothing else to do with your cash and feel like the world's most generous philanthropist - have at it, spend that money, good for you... enjoy it, because you can...

I can't, and even if I could I doubt if I would - I have never had the mentality that I had to buy my toothpaste at the highest price just so I could say I shopped at "Hoity-Toity Store"....

I buy good fabric, in fact, I have mostly "LQS quality" fabric in my stash - but that doesn't mean I paid "LQS" prices for it - it means I spend my money wisely.... Even in a quilt shop! Because as others have said, I shop the bargain racks, the outlets, etc...

And I really don't feel the need to apologize for doing so - when did it get to be in this country that we've been made to feel we're doing wrong by not spending money recklessly? By not "supporting" others? Made to feel its our responsibility to make sure "XYZ LQS" stays in business??

Remember the story about the old farmer in overalls who was treated like garbage at the auto dealer because he had dirty boots and looked like he had just come from the field..... he took his business elsewhere and paid with CASH for a car......
some LQS shops might try keeping that story in mind....