Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-02-2010, 07:42 AM

BoJangles, my avitar quilt is the attic window design that I used for fabrics I bought in Alaska when cruising. The top window has the word Alaska and some birds from the area. The top row of windows has the float planes flying in the sky. The 2nd row has eagles flying and in trees. 3rd row has polar bears playing in the snow. 4th row has sea otters on the water. The bottom row doesn't show, but it has penguins swimming under water. There was a topic about posting a larger picture of our avitar quilts. Mine is posted on there.
P.S. i posted the link for Singer thru the ages just above your post asking about my avitar
Old 12-02-2010, 07:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
I have wanted a treadle sewing machine since hearing about them on this board, so I have told friends and family to be on the lookout for me. My friend's DSI found one and sent a picture. A few phone calls and pictures later it is mine. I will have more questions when it gets to me, I'm sure. They paid for it today and will pick it up tomorrow. Then they will bring it to me later when they come.
Wow that is an 1885 machine!

Nancy
I think they forgot a letter on the serial number, if you look at the treadle it is in a post 1900 treadle.

Billy
Old 12-02-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Nancy
I think they forgot a letter on the serial number, if you look at the treadle it is in a post 1900 treadle.

Billy
Yes Billy, I do see that the treadle in post 1900's. All my treadles that are pre-1900's have the wood connector thingy that rotates the treadle.

Well, when she gets the treadle she can look to see if there is a letter in front on that number. That machine is in really great shape if it is in fact an 1885 machine!

Nancy
Old 12-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Banned

Yes Billy, I do see that the treadle in post 1900's. All my treadles that are pre-1900's have the wood connector thingy that rotates the treadle.

Well, when she gets the treadle she can look to see if there is a letter in front on that number. That machine is in really great shape if it is in fact an 1885 machine!

Nancy
The 127's first came into production in 1912 so it can not be a pre 1900 model.

Billy
Old 12-02-2010, 08:51 AM

I have wanted a treadle sewing machine since hearing about them on this board, so I have told friends and family to be on the lookout for me. My friend's DSI found one and sent a picture. A few phone calls and pictures later it is mine. I will have more questions when it gets to me, I'm sure. They paid for it today and will pick it up tomorrow. Then they will bring it to me later when they come.

Nancy

Billy
Could it have been put on a different base? What else should I look for on the machine itself? What do you look for when dating the treadle? What should it look like if the treadle was original? Do you have any pictures?
Old 12-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Banned

Could it have been put on a different base? What else should I look for on the machine itself? What do you look for when dating the treadle? What should it look like if the treadle was original? Do you have any pictures?
No the 127's didnt come into production until 1912 so it is more than likely in the original base. To date it you look at the boss in front of the pillar and it will have the serial number stamped into it.

Billy
Old 12-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Banned

Also the early 27's had the fiddle base on them then towards the later 1800's they went to the rectangle base like we always see.

Billy
Old 12-02-2010, 09:52 AM

Yes it is Nancy. I am on my way to take it to E and D to do a general cleaning and oiling. Kathie See you at Folsom in three weeks. Kathie
Old 12-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

Billy
Billy, could you explain why you think the treadle is post-1900?

The pitman appears to be missing, so can't tell if it was wood or iron. Perhaps it is not a 127? That could explain why it is older, if the serial # is correct. I have a machine that I think is a VS2 from 1894, looks a lot like a 127. Also I know the sphinx was around by 1901.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:21 AM

What is a Pitman? Kathie