Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS Survival >

LQS Survival

LQS Survival

Old 12-02-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by JJs
we live in the boonies and woods and there isn't a "L"QS for over 80 miles - when you have to drive that far to even get there, what 'help' are you going to be getting?
I don't like the tone when somebody says something like - 'you need to support the LQS come he^* or high water otherwise you're garbage for not keeping them in business'
Some people just flat out do not have the wherewithall to pay over $12 a yard for fabric - not when milk is over $3 a gallon and a loaf of bread $2.50...
If you are independently wealthy, have nothing else to do with your cash and feel like the world's most generous philanthropist - have at it, spend that money, good for you... enjoy it, because you can...

I can't, and even if I could I doubt if I would - I have never had the mentality that I had to buy my toothpaste at the highest price just so I could say I shopped at "Hoity-Toity Store"....

I buy good fabric, in fact, I have mostly "LQS quality" fabric in my stash - but that doesn't mean I paid "LQS" prices for it - it means I spend my money wisely.... Even in a quilt shop! Because as others have said, I shop the bargain racks, the outlets, etc...

And I really don't feel the need to apologize for doing so - when did it get to be in this country that we've been made to feel we're doing wrong by not spending money recklessly? By not "supporting" others? Made to feel its our responsibility to make sure "XYZ LQS" stays in business??

Remember the story about the old farmer in overalls who was treated like garbage at the auto dealer because he had dirty boots and looked like he had just come from the field..... he took his business elsewhere and paid with CASH for a car......
some LQS shops might try keeping that story in mind....
HEAR HEAR! I was thinking about this for several days now, and since when does it make sense to support a business that charges a premium price instead of watching how they buy and passing on their savings to their customers. I owned a business for many years, and can tell you that businesses have a responsibility to not pay more for their inventory, but less; if we keep supporting excessive prices they will not get the message and prices will continue to rise, they will meekly take price increases from their fabric suppliers, who will inturn take price increases from the mills and so on. There is a lot of negotioating room with wholesalers and retailers who refuse to be upped will get the better pricing. It has to stop somewhere and traditionally it is the consumer that puts the brakes on the pricing. Look around thats is what is happening in our economy now, and businesses are failing because they have not learned how to buy properly. So if you want increasing prices, keep on supporting the LQS and other businesses that respond to tough times by raising prices rather than trimming their operating expenses. I will now climb down off my soap box. :-D
Old 12-02-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Originally Posted by candi
. . . the original post and question..I think it was whether you think local quilt shops will survive, . . .
and the rest of the question/statement - - -

if quilters are unable and/or unwilling to pay "usual" quilt shop prices for fabrics and other goods/items found in the shop.

Or to put it another way -

Will LQS owners be able to stay in business if customers will only buy marked down fabrics and other items?

(This is not meant to be a judgment call - it is meant to be a reality check)
Well, no. Honestly, in this day and age and the economy in the shape it's in it's realistic to think that they won't make it. The prices in an LQS are just too high for the average person to afford. Short and simple that's my opinion.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:36 PM

I haven't read all the posts here so this may have been said already. During the depression, people had to make do with only necessities. Today's economy is pushing us into almost the same situation. In businesses if the retailer can't bargain for a better price I feel they should refuse to buy the new lines of fabric. If all LQS's did that then the fabric industry would have to rethink their prices. I would support an LQS that refused to go with the higher prices. One LQS that I go to occasionally because she's about 90 mi. from me told me that when she last ordered some Moda fabric, she was told the retail price was $9.95 but she didn't raise her sell price to that because she knows her customers can't afford that much. She kept her price at $8.75 a yd. If she was closer I'd be there every chance I could. I think the LQS's understand their customers can't afford these prices so I don't feel bad if they go under because they won't try whatever they can to keep the prices down.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:27 PM

I UNDERSTAND THAT IT'S NOT THE LQS SETTING THESE PRICES IT'S A SHORTAGE OF COTTON THAT MAKES THE FABRIC SO HIGH. I ALSO HEARD THAT SOME OF THE FABRIC MFG. IN ASIA ARE GOING UNDER. THATS WHERE MOST OF OUR BEAUTIFUL FABRICS COME FROM. I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS, BUT I HEARD THEY ARE GOING VERY HIGH FOR OUR SPRING AND SUMMER FABRICS. MY LQS WHERE I GO HAS A BIG OVERHEAD, HAS HER SHOP VERY WELL STOCKED, HAS HELP SO YOU CAN GET THE ATTENTION YOU NEED SOMETIMES WHEN WE GO TO TH SHOP. HAS TWO BIG BEAUTIFUL CLASS ROOM. SHE USE TO BE IN A SMALL HOUSE WITH FABRICS DOWNSTAIRS AND UPSTAIRS. WAS AWEFUL, SHE COULDN'T DISPLAY HERE FABRICS WELL AT ALL. I FEEL KIND OF SORRY FOR THEM, THEY ARE BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE. MAYBE WE WILL JUST HAVE TO CUT BACK ON THE AMOUNT OF QUILTS WE MAKE IN A YEAR. I STILL LIKE TO MAKE QUILTS WITH GOOD FABRIC. IT'S A LOT OF WORK AND TIME, I DON'T BUY AT JOANN'S AND NEVER AT WALMART. I HATE THAT STORE. JUST MY OPINION.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltzilla
Shopping the sales at the local quilt shop is the way to go in times of tight money
Yes. I made my first order to Rocking Chair Quilts. It won't be my last. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I shop EVERYWHERE for fabric! I just found Connecting Threads batiks, and I am in LOVE! I love the 4 LQS's nearby, each specializes in a diffrent type of fabric!
I love buying from folks here, I have really gotten some bargins. Even trade a lady here. Walmart has some GREAT fabric, so do JoAnns and Hobby Lobby, and Ben Franklin. I coupon when I can and I DO try toshop the SALES!
Ben Franklin! Oh my gosh! Thanks to that company, when my husband decided to go to college after we got married - I made all my clothes to wear to work. On Saturday's they had their fabric clearance at twenty-five cents a yard! Thank you Ben Franklin! (Of course, that was in the 60's.) Thanks for the memory!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:17 PM

If all the LQS closed around me, it wouldn't affect me in the least lol....I am just being funny. But truth be told, I will not live to use up my supply of fabric lol.

I have been collecting fabric for years and most from LQS but I don't think I payed a lot of 9.00 per yard. I would shop 2 times a year for years at my LQS and it would be 40% off. Another thing, I don't buy a fabric line, where everything goes together. I may just buy the main fabric. I have always been able to get great prices and from friends who wanted to get rid of fabric. And even then, my most favorite way to quilt is with scraps lol.

I had decided, five years before hubby retired, that I must have everything I needed including the gammill quilter lol as one never knows what could happen.

I just heard today that seaworld is laying off a ton of people. Things seem to be getting toughter and tougher. Stores will be closing, there is just no money around and no jobs. I am one who won't be shopping, I will use what I have.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by lllog
I know that quilters are struggling, arn't we all. Thats why the majority of our fabrics sell for $4.50 yd and we have a sale room strating at $3.49 yd. I'm lucky because I have the shop in my home and don't have to pay $1000 or more a month for rent and utilities.

We got to warehouses to purchase fabric and seldom buy from fabric reps. That means that our fabric is usually last years, but I don't think that quilters vare. What they want and look for is the pattern and quality along with a good price.

I'm afraid that some LQS will close this year, because they aren't as financialy stable as we are, and we all lose when that happens. I believe that the more LQS that are out there the better, and believe in working with my fellow LQS's to bring quilting to new quilters everwhere.

In our area we all fill a nitch and usually don't offer the same things.

We also ship throughout the US t5o quilters that live too far from LQS's.

Lanny
Quiltedoaks.com
Lanny, I totally understand. Had to shut down my retail convenience store end of last year. Was treated by government regulations as if I was a huge corporation. The taxes never ended, even on inventory on the shelves then sales tax when items were sold!

With this economy, it is my personal opinion that EVERY small product and service business that is operated by one owner/employee like LQS's, should be exempt from corporate tax non-sense. There's not enough margin to support all the regulations, license, and fees. It would give the businesses greater opportunities to service their community - and help ride out the financial storms.

I live near several small rural towns, and wanted to open a neighborhood/club quilt shop - Walmart is 25 miles away and eliminating their fabrics, so we'll all have to drive 40-45 miles. With the impending increase of federal tax on fuel, most of the people needing to buy fabric will be impacted again. Enough ranting....!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 AM

Although I am on a fixed income, I will still support my LQS.
They have better quality fabrics, and I want to support the
small busineses in my area. I may have to buy less fabric.
But I will still support the LQS.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:42 AM

I support my LQS. It is a wealth of information to me. My DIL (a novice quilter) went to big chain fabric store and a salesperson had her buy quilt tools that were either unnecessary or the wrong size. I think a LQS would have done a better job of assessing her needs.