Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WOW!  In shock. >

WOW! In shock.

WOW! In shock.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by rfbrazell
Don't forget to sign up for your mail to home coupons, they have a 40% off a single item and that covers I cut of fabric. I also take the coupon down to staples or office max and make 4 or 5 color copies of the coupon and use then thru out the week to get all of my fabric for a project, also good on notions etc. The gig is you can only use one coupon per transaction so if you have multiple things and want to use another coupon you have to take your stuff to the car and come back and get your next cut of fabric or other items, but it is well worth it.
At Jo-Ann, you can use a Michael's coupon, an AC Moore coupon and all the Jo-Ann coupons as long as they look different. You just can't use two of the same coupons. You can only use the JoAnn coupons on fabric because AC and Michaels don't carry fabric so they won't honor their coupons on that item, but everything else is game. That means the newspaper, online and the ones they send can all be used at once, at least here in Rochester. Michaels and ACMoore only take one per day so I don't shop there unless I have to.

I've been known to take two different coats and go in more than once to the other two, LOL. They don't have a CLUE!!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nolee
Originally Posted by rfbrazell
Don't forget to sign up for your mail to home coupons, they have a 40% off a single item and that covers I cut of fabric. I also take the coupon down to staples or office max and make 4 or 5 color copies of the coupon and use then thru out the week to get all of my fabric for a project, also good on notions etc. The gig is you can only use one coupon per transaction so if you have multiple things and want to use another coupon you have to take your stuff to the car and come back and get your next cut of fabric or other items, but it is well worth it.

At Jo-Ann, you can use a Michael's coupon, an AC Moore coupon and all the Jo-Ann coupons as long as they look different. You just can't use two of the same coupons. You can only use the JoAnn coupons on fabric because AC and Michaels don't carry fabric so they won't honor their coupons on that item, but everything else is game. That means the newspaper, online and the ones they send can all be used at once, at least here in Rochester. Michaels and ACMoore only take one per day so I don't shop there unless I have to.

I've been known to take two different coats and go in more than once to the other two, LOL. They don't have a CLUE!!
Haven't got a spare head out there in the car? LOL!! MY JA staff know me too well to get away with that!!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Banned

Our big Joann here in Austin lets you use whatever variety of coupons you have in each pass through the checkout--you can use one 50% off, one 40% off, etc. Then you can just go around through the checkout again with more. The checkers don't care at all, as far as I can tell. Though I like the idea of keeping two coats in the car! Plus if you pay cash for the many transactions while changing to your various disguises, then so much the better! Clever!

Good grief! Fabric prices in Canada and Australia sound absolutely horrible! Do you have to pay duty for things sent to you when you order online?

Dana
Old 12-03-2010, 11:29 AM

Wow, excited to learn about Marshall's Dry Goods! wish I had the $$ to throw down on a bundle...to many choices overwhelm me...lol
Old 12-03-2010, 11:46 AM

I heard cotton went up in price.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 AM

I bought a piece of Debbie Mumm fabric last night at JoAnns that I paid $7.99 for two months ago ... it's now $9.99 per yard! I used my 50% off coupon but still felt the pinch! But it's an adorable teal background with brown paw prints on it. I hope to be making dog and cat items, especially bags, for sale sometime after the first of the year. (It was supposed to be in time for Christmas but my auto accident made that impossible.) BUT, I did get the name PawsitivelyPurrfect on etsy set aside. I wanted dog-gone cute designs but it was already taken!

Peggy in Chilly Fla

(it's warmed up into the 60's today but we've already had 3 days at 32 or lower and our 'normal' for December is 5. Next week is supposed to break that record!)
Old 12-03-2010, 12:29 PM

me too i pay £10 a meter for Moda in Northern Ireland which is about $15 to $16 a meter
Old 12-03-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
Originally Posted by hperttula123
Originally Posted by cinjosie
I read somewhere recently that the price of cotton (not fabric - just grown cotton) has gone up considerably -- thus the tremendous increase in fabric prices.
Yes!!! I heard that too. I heard the prices are going up because how how bad the cotton crops have been.
Not out here...crops looked good !! The price from what I've been told is so much going overseas, that makes no since, we could have more mills here. But I'm not going there:)
Could be a sign someone is thinking economy is turning, and thats not a bad thing!!!
Anywhoo could be the amount of growing less than normal, helping the price.
Just glad to see the farmers have a good year !! Can afford new equipment, then hello steel workers, etc. :)
Just my take....:)
I see unpicked cotton here in GA....................maybe could make my own fabric if they would let me have some cotton--LOL
Old 12-03-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Just FYI - we went to the Ava MO Walmart yesterday, and was told that they were in line for a remodel in June. Of course I asked him if they were ripping out the fabric dept and he said that they originally WERE, but for "some reason" they were leaving it in with a new look..... do you think that "some reason" was maybe perhaps getting an overload of %$#@ complaints of eliminating that dept?? Good job ladies! - oops! men too!
Happy for you guys there! Here in GA no luck even though we complained a lot.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Banned

When I drove through the farm country near Bakersfield a few years ago, I passed a cotton field that had been picked clean except for some plants that had grown into a ditch, so I stopped and picked a few balls, and smoothed one out flat and incorporated it into a quilt as just a tiny way to remember the quilters in the past who had to use cotton this way, seeds and all, as batting. Wonder what they'd think about all the batting choices we have today?

Dana