Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-03-2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S
What is a FMQ? I am learning so much from this list. Kathie
P.S. What I am learning is that I know nothing lol. These old machines are wonderful and a real education.
Kathie, FMQ is just an acronym Free Motion Quilting. Some of the old machines are better for FMQ'ing than others.

The Featherweight is one I have been told you should not FMQ with. The FW is great for piecing, but use a bigger machine for the FMQ'ing. I don't know why you shouldn't FMQ with the 301, except it was made to be an aluminum light weight machine to use as a portable. I think, the 301 was the first aluminum machine that Singer made in a full sized machine.

The last time I was in the repair shop, there was one in there for about $90, a short bed pinkish looking one. The long bed, I think, is more desirable. The bed looks like a FW - it lifts up.

Nancy
Old 12-03-2010, 05:50 PM

Kathie, I am going to answer your question about oiling your 128 here because I would like to hear what the rest of the group thinks, especially Billy.

I do not agree with your repairman's advice that you will not need to oil that machine for 2 years.

I just pulled out several of my old girls' manuals and the manuals say "To ensure easy running, the machine requires oiling and if used continuously it should be oiled each day. With moderate use an occasional oiling is sufficient."

If you are not going to use the Model 128, then he is probably right. But, if you are going to use the machine you will need to oil it oftener than every 2 years. I clean all my machines every few months, more often if I am using them heavily or using messy fabric like flannel. I usually oil lightly when I clean them. I will oil more frequently if I am FMQing or really heavily sewing.

Anyone else have an opinion on this subject?

Nancy
Old 12-03-2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
P.S. What I am learning is that I know nothing lol. These old machines are wonderful and a real education.
Free motion quillting, but don't feel bad.
Lots of us had an adjustment period figuring out the internet lingo!
Kathie S there is no better place than here to learn than on this board.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:46 PM

can I ask a question here? On my new featherweight the paint is chipped in places. Do I *need* to cover that up with the testor pen (or whatever kind) or is it ok to leave it as is? I prefer to leave it unless it'll start corroding or something.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
I have not sewn with either of them yet, but I already love it more than the featherweight. I might get one out and try it tonight. The other definitely is going to Billy to clean it up. It is REALLY dirty. I plan on sending it just after Christmas. I will try and post some photos. Why would you not FMQ with it?
I would not FMQ a big quilt. I'd be afraid I would burn the motor up. But, I have done a lap quilt.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Free motion quillting, but don't feel bad.
Lots of us had an adjustment period figuring out the internet lingo!
Kathie S there is no better place than here on this board.
I too had to learn how to talk on here. Took me a while before I knew what DH,DD and DS was.

:-)
Old 12-03-2010, 08:34 PM

OK, I'm going to jump in. I saw Starlight/Jan's post a while back with her Compac machine and I just loved the look of it. I watch CL and evilbay for several things, so I started watchine for old machines. I found this one on ebay that noone had bid on. I probably paid too much for it, but I love the color, and it looked pristine.

The SN is A468011. There are no scratches, it purrs like a kitten, and it makes a nice stitch. I honestly can't believe it has ever been used. The only bad thing is the case is sort of beat up and it smells.

I did receive a manual, but no date information. The MSRP according to the manual is $189.50. This looks like a 1940's or 1950's era machine, and that seems like a LOT of money for that time frame.

If anyone has any info on this beauty I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

Darren

P.S. Please excuse the mess. I should have tidied up before I started taking pictures.

There are no scratches on it that I can find
[ATTACH=CONFIG]137817[/ATTACH]

I love this cover
[ATTACH=CONFIG]137818[/ATTACH]

and this cover
[ATTACH=CONFIG]137819[/ATTACH]

The back is as pretty as the front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]137820[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-137812.jpe
Views:	141
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	137817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-137813.jpe
Views:	204
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	137818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-137814.jpe
Views:	194
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	137819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-137815.jpe
Views:	223
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	137820  
Old 12-03-2010, 10:50 PM

Hi Darren,
Your machine is what I've heard called a Singer clone. It'll take the low shank Singer feet,uses class 15 bobbins,the feed dogs drop and is great for FMQ.
If you wanted you could do a motorectomy and drop it into a treadle cabinet and use it with people power.
Sharon W.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:20 AM

Darren,
I like the color of your Singer clone and the ornate face plate is pretty too.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by gale
can I ask a question here? On my new featherweight the paint is chipped in places. Do I *need* to cover that up with the testor pen (or whatever kind) or is it ok to leave it as is? I prefer to leave it unless it'll start corroding or something.
Gale to cover/touch up or not is up to you. Most of us leave the machines as they were unless they are so bad that they need a make-over. Billy redoes the machines if that is what you want.

Nancy