Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new quilt room need ideas >

new quilt room need ideas

new quilt room need ideas

Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by RST
I
I also find a large cutting surface to be very helpful. Most tables are too low for me, and I end up with an aching back. My cutting table is a hollow core door placed on top of a day bed from Ikea -- it happens to be the perfect height for me. And since my sewing area doubles as a guest room on occasion, it's a good use of space for the dual purposes of the room.
RST
That sounds like a good idea I am going to have to check it out and see if it will work for me. I have just moved in with my brother since my DD tossed me out. :-) I am going from a larger retangle room 12x20 to two rooms one a bedroom and one a studio. Standard bedroom size. I need to figure out how to fit everything in.
Finally got a computer back and can read this board everyday again. yippee!! lol
My brother took a double closet and put shelves in it for my fabric its pretty cool. Can't wait to get things organized. After I paint my bedroom and get the bed moved in there , Then I start on the quilt studio.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:48 PM

I have indoor-outdoor carpeting in my longarm studio with mats where I stand at the machine. It works fine.
Good thing to have tho, wheather carpet or other flooring, is an extendable magnet tool for picking up dropped bobbins and pins before you vacuum. You can buy this at a hardware store(carpenters,etc use them to pick up nails).
Enjoy you new studio!
Sally
Old 11-30-2010, 06:43 AM

Randa, we took the incandescent fixture down, too many shadows and not easy on the eyes. I think putting the "kitchen/bathroom" bulbs has made a big difference, easier on the eyes.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:28 PM

Ugh I can hardly move! One more day of moving then let's the designing start!!! Love all the ideas!!!! Thank you all sooooo much!!

North bend wa
Old 12-03-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by Big Red
Thank you so much for the info. :) The other thing is to carpet or not....What are you thoughts?
I say no to carpet. I have a laminate floor; easy to find pins when they drop, easy to sweep with a swiffer duster. You can use rubber mats where you will be standing. You need lots of storage. Here is a pic of my basement sewing studio with the storage and cutting tables.
This is beautiful! Wow!!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:51 PM

Mixed bag! I have carpet. It is warmer, easier to stand on. It is generally more expensive. I like to use the floor to spread out on. Prefer to sit on carpet, rather than harder, colder floor. Texture and color make a huge difference in how clean either "looks" I would rather vacuum carpet than chase dust bunnies. Hard surfaces can be mopped and result in less allergic responses. Just a few thoughts. Get what you LIKE. The only time I did not like having carpet was when I had a dark forest green cut pile that showed everything (the dark color was the issue).
Old 12-03-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by msuewhite
Originally Posted by Big Red
Hi everyone! I am moving and in my new place, my quilt room will be about 20x12. I would love all the input I can get to design this room. I have a tin lizzy and 2 machines that will need to go in here plus iron stand and I have a cutting table. Any ideas are much appreicated! Thanks so much!
If you put up a window curtain rod with shower-curtain hooks on a blank wall, you can hang a flannel-backed tablecloth to use for a design wall. Inexpensive and very useful!!
I did the same but with a white flannel sheet and ran PVC pipe through the middle of the curtain rod halves (much cheaper than a long rod and the flannel stayed smoother than with the shower rod hooks. A good trick was to place a chain in the hem to keep it weighted and hanging well.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
Originally Posted by RST
I
I also find a large cutting surface to be very helpful. Most tables are too low for me, and I end up with an aching back. My cutting table is a hollow core door placed on top of a day bed from Ikea -- it happens to be the perfect height for me. And since my sewing area doubles as a guest room on occasion, it's a good use of space for the dual purposes of the room.
RST
That sounds like a good idea I am going to have to check it out and see if it will work for me. I have just moved in with my brother since my DD tossed me out. :-) I am going from a larger retangle room 12x20 to two rooms one a bedroom and one a studio. Standard bedroom size. I need to figure out how to fit everything in.
Finally got a computer back and can read this board everyday again. yippee!! lol
My brother took a double closet and put shelves in it for my fabric its pretty cool. Can't wait to get things organized. After I paint my bedroom and get the bed moved in there , Then I start on the quilt studio.
I use two cheap bathroom vanities with a formica countertop for the top. The vanities come in different heights and I get some extra storage by using the cabinets underneath.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by bleighw
Originally Posted by damaquilts
Originally Posted by RST
I
RST
I use two cheap bathroom vanities with a formica countertop for the top. The vanities come in different heights and I get some extra storage by using the cabinets underneath.
We are going out to look for a bedframe for me today. I am going to look at cabinets etc at Habitat for Humanity store. I need to be able to fold up my cutting table since the room will have to double as a guest room. I have one from Joanns but it kinda fell apart when I moved it. Not unfixable but I would like something a little more sturdy.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:18 PM

How's the room coming do we get to see picts yet??