Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 12-03-2010, 03:18 PM

This sounds like fun but I am still learning a lot about quilting. Should I have the software for the DJane type quilt? Is that the project you are talking about starting, or are you doing something different? I got a bit confused reading through all the responses. i would like to get more involved with on-line quilting buddies and this may be a great way to do it.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lovingquilts4all
This sounds like fun but I am still learning a lot about quilting. Should I have the software for the DJane type quilt? Is that the project you are talking about starting, or are you doing something different? I got a bit confused reading through all the responses. i would like to get more involved with on-line quilting buddies and this may be a great way to do it.
You don't have to have the software, but as a group, I think that we would all highly recommend it, especially if you are planning to paper piece. We actually started the Jane Stickle quilt last Jan. (2010) and we are scheduled to finish it up in May of 2011. Feel free to jump in and do one though...we posted each week and we all still go back to those threads as there are people working at all different speeds, so you won't be alone in your work.

Currently we are discussing another project to start together. We had so much fun as a group that we would like to make another quilt together. Right now, Affairs of the Heart is leading in our discussion of what we would like to do. We plan to start it in maybe the May/June time frame. Feel free to do a Jane or join us for Affairs of the Heart (AOTH). We'll be here to support you!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by lovingquilts4all
Should I have the software for the DJane type quilt?
Absoultely! Unless you are wanting to hand piece everything. Then the book would be enough, however, there is a ton of info with the CD that isn't included in the book. If you can afford both, go for it! I didn't have the software. Sure wish I did.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:45 PM

What Patti said - Ditto! This is such a lovely group of ladies. I don't think we want to break the group up just because we've finished something. That's why we're talking about another group project.

You are very welcome to join in. I joined late in the summer with a half-done Baby & these wonderful gals took me in just like I was family!.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
You seem to be sussing out scallops etc well - I did consider doing mine in one long length, but opted to seam the sections so that I had a point of reference to join them to the border. In the past, I have had one or two quilts that the outer edge always seemed a tad too short which really annoyed me.

I got my AOTH book today, and I have to say I really like it. I have no doubt at all about being able to upsize the blocks, and those of you thinking of being able to machine applique, that would help, wouldn't it. (My personal problem will be that my printer is playing up at the moment and I might have to buy another).
The quilt also has three narrow borders cut from a border print.... next question, where would you begin to look for a suitable one? I have just been through all of Jinny Beyer's site as she was my first thought. I'm very disappointed - so many of them were out of print, and those that weren't didn't seem to lend themselves to this quilt.
Lesley, try quiltshops.com and search for border, stripe, wide stripe, lace, swag and anything else you can think of. There are heaps of border prints that aren't listed as such and it is very frustrating - metallic will also bring up some more. If you know of a border print in a range you can also search by range name or designer. There is a seller on ebay who has quite a lot of Jinny Beyer borders - verymerrymary. I've been looking for a while to make the 'striped' Card Trick quilt I found on 'The Board'.
Good luck with your quest. CarolB
Old 12-04-2010, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ozecb
Originally Posted by Lacelady
You seem to be sussing out scallops etc well - I did consider doing mine in one long length, but opted to seam the sections so that I had a point of reference to join them to the border. In the past, I have had one or two quilts that the outer edge always seemed a tad too short which really annoyed me.

I got my AOTH book today, and I have to say I really like it. I have no doubt at all about being able to upsize the blocks, and those of you thinking of being able to machine applique, that would help, wouldn't it. (My personal problem will be that my printer is playing up at the moment and I might have to buy another).
The quilt also has three narrow borders cut from a border print.... next question, where would you begin to look for a suitable one? I have just been through all of Jinny Beyer's site as she was my first thought. I'm very disappointed - so many of them were out of print, and those that weren't didn't seem to lend themselves to this quilt.
Lesley, try quiltshops.com and search for border, stripe, wide stripe, lace, swag and anything else you can think of. There are heaps of border prints that aren't listed as such and it is very frustrating - metallic will also bring up some more. If you know of a border print in a range you can also search by range name or designer. There is a seller on ebay who has quite a lot of Jinny Beyer borders - verymerrymary. I've been looking for a while to make the 'striped' Card Trick quilt I found on 'The Board'.
Good luck with your quest. CarolB
Thank you for all the suggestions - I'll keep looking.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

I was decorating today and thought you all might like to see the results of my participation in the Christmas Jane swap from last year. I got this finished at the very end of the Christmas season last year and only used it a couple of days. I'm excited to be able to use it this year....Everyone in that swap did a fabulous job and I love this runner!

ignore my mess please...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138403[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-138397.jpe
Views:	114
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	138402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-138398.jpe
Views:	63
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	138403  
Old 12-04-2010, 05:06 PM

beautiful
Old 12-04-2010, 05:43 PM

Patti, love the layout of your table runner! Chocolate sashings and dark red binding! ;) Very nice! :lol:
Old 12-04-2010, 05:53 PM

OK, the table runner is totally nifty! What a great idea!

"ignore my mess" When I see a mess, I'll make sure & ignore it. You should see my mess!

I have been assigned a "project" at work, but need to do it at home. Don't know how they plan on compensating me for it as it isn't something I would have done on my own!

A warden in the state wants a quilt made from his Crown Royal bags. Been sorting and cutting a few apart. One is a gold suede-like and another is deep purple velour - special contents, I guess. There is also a teeny tiny one - maybe for a nip? It's getting sewn onto a square of the gold suede as a whole bag, complete with drawstring. It's kinda cute.

There are 33 purple flannel bags, 9 black flannel bags & the 3 already mentioned. Don't know what the black holds, or for that matter the gold or deep purple. There are several kinds of Crown Royal, but I couldn't find any info on the net about the bag colors.

I also started cutting out the beginnings of Sylvia's Bridal Sampler blocks. Soooooo, I have quite the mess.

The quilt will finish as a throw for his "man cave." I will probably need my own Crown Royal bag, complete with contents by the time I'm done with this. My heart just isn't in it. Thank goodness - no deadline. Oh, why am I doing this at home? I can't take the booze bags into the prison! Go figure!