Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel sheet for batting >

Flannel sheet for batting

Flannel sheet for batting

Old 12-03-2010, 08:05 PM

Yep , I've used wool blankets from the thrift store and washed and dried hot. Never was told there was a problem and were really warm quilts for the northerners that rec'd them !! Will try flannel soon too ! Thanks !
Old 12-03-2010, 08:09 PM

I have an antique quilt with that -- it works really great when you just plan to tie the quilt; don't know about hand quilting through it, but simple machine quilting ought to work.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by bleighw
When I first began quilting, I only used flannel sheet for a batting. They were very flat, not as hot as regular (family all in the south), and added strength to prevent stretching due to any bias piecing. However, it is critical to pre shrink. Flannel shrinks much more than other cottons we use for sewing.
LOL ... pre-washing! Good point! I only used USED flannel sheets (God watches out for children and fools, eh?)
VERY good point! <wave>
Old 12-03-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by milikaa1
I use flannel sheets and old blankets as batting, my friend just gave me several yards of wool and I just made a quilt and used that as the batting as well, I was going to use it as the backing but it was to itchy.
As Miss Tutty mentioned, that is going to be a REALLY warm quilt!
I grew an appreciation for wool last winter when hubby was especially cold in our Sleep Number bed? I had purchased an Army blanket from a military surplus store for, I think, $20. I put it down on the mattress under the sheet, and MAN! I hadn't realized that I was really cold at night, too!
It made a world of difference ... a very delicious warm <wave>
Old 12-03-2010, 08:36 PM

another wonderfull idea in recycling.....thank you
Originally Posted by Jenni M
I see lots and lots of flannel sheets and pillow cases at our local Goodwill in excellent condition. I think I will follow your lead and try using one as batting. Thanks for the idea!

Jenni

PS Don't cry...we love you! hehe
Old 12-03-2010, 08:38 PM

Hey Rita, I would love to see your quilt, I am thinking of doing a tumbling block quilt this winter, and would love to see a picture of yours, I too like flannel where you don't want bulk if feels great. Looking forward to your picture,
best wishes,
Another Rita
Old 12-03-2010, 09:00 PM

I have used flannel for years for batting in tablerunners and placemats. it works great as it doesn't have the bounce that polyester batting has (lays flatter and is quite stable). Just remember that the quilt will feel different with the flannel sheeet rather than batting.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 AM

Yes, using flannel for batting. I used it once, many
years ago. But, it may be a little heavier. It's your
choice.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:36 AM

For anyone who wants to try this, shop the Goodwill, Salvation Army stores, St Vincent DePaul stores, Value Village, Deseret Industries. You can quite often get a flannel shett, sometimes never used for just a couple of dollars. Another thing that works great if you are typing is the old style mattress pads. My friend and I used many of those in charity quilts.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Theresa
Flannel works well, just be sure to wash in hot and dry in hot to get the shrinkage taken care of before sandwiching. I like using it for table runner or toppers. Bulk isn't needed there.
I just purchased my first table runner kit and I was wondering what to use for filler....thanks for the flannel tip! Donna