Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases >

What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases

What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases

Old 12-04-2010, 10:10 AM

And a hearty amen...except that I'm not sure that having cotton grown and greige goods produced in the USA would lower the costs because greed being the worldwide attribute that it is we have our fair share of it here too. My guess is that paying American workers what they want/demand would keep the prices up anyway. Still, I would rather pay my countrymen than everyone else in the world.
Sound like an isolationist don't I. Sorry.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:18 AM

huh. My post was removed but I wasn't notified. Not cool. I think one reason american made fabric would be higher is because american workers generally demand higher wages along with a lot of side benefits and they have others backing them up to make sure they get these. All of this would add up to higher expenses for the company.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sheila Elaine
When I was a small child, my Dad & Uncle grew cotton crops on their parents land in Randolph Co, AL, on the border with GA. This was in the late 40s, early 50s. My dad had to take a Government job 50 miles away in order to feed three children & his wife, & we moved 50 miles away; however, my uncle (his brother) stayed on the farm & continued to grow cotton, but about 1954, the Government took over & started paying farmers not to grow cotton. My Mother's parents & siblings also moved close to us 50 miles away & my Grandfather worked for the Government also. The migration of farmers had already started to the Northern Car Mfg States, so I remember thinking what is going on. After the Government quit paying farmers to grow cotton, my Uncle went to work in a factory in GA, at a factory where they produce copper tubing & wiring. Back then, folks worked at whatever jobs they could get. Government workers had Health Insurance, Blue/Cross/Blue Shield of Alabama, so that's the first time our family had it.

Here we are 56 years later, but many have lost jobs, health insurance, and other benefits they had at their jobs. I have only seen two or three cotton crops in the field in the last 15 years & that was in North AL. I'm sure there are many who would go to farming if the Government would start programs to help them obtain loans to buy farming tractors & equipment to get started again. We are several generations away from the 50s, but there are some older folks still around who could instruct the younger workers how to grow cotton, corn, gardens and other crops. Times change but I am curious if this could happen and bring back our equipment from overseas to reopen our garment factories that were taken away here in NE Ala where I live now. My DIL low her job in a sports clothing mfg shop and many in & around Ft. Payne, AL lost jobs at Sock Mills. Ft. Payne was the Worlds leading sock producer for years until they bought up all the machines & sent the all overseas. Now you have a lot of folks around that area still unemployed.

My feeling is America needs to supply to America before they supply the rest of the world. Where is there a politician that can appoint folks to get out & travel & see what needs to happen to get America running again. We always need military facilities to train our soldiers, plus factories to make supplies for the military. There has been cuts of military bases and I for one feel that is not right. If we have to destroy America to build up other countries, who is on the front line taking note of this.

I'll do without factory produced fabric until folks get their heads out of the sand & push for our jobs to come back to our shores. I'll use what fabric I have & what I can obtain from thrift stores & the like, or placed the have fabric outlets. I watch the fashion runway shows & shows that sell high priced clothes, but we can get by with what we have now until the prices can come down at sales. Folks could make their own clothes like they once did if we had fabric we could afford and classes to teach the ones who don't know how to sew. Our society has become so fashion & idol conscious it makes me sick.
I, too remember, and was just wondering the same. When Wal-Mart first opened, their motto. we buy American first. Now you have to search and then scarcely see anything made in America.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:14 AM

Thank you for the info. Good to know that there are some companies out there are trying to keep things stable for us all!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts
The Marcus company expects cotton prices to decrease - does this mean they will decrease the cost of fabric accordingly? Doubt it very much! Once they know folks will buy at the new, higher price, it is not likely they will go back to the old pricing. Sorry to sound cynical but that's the way it usually works.
Sad to say - but I think you're right. But hey - you never know right :) we might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:37 AM

Please accept my apologies to the Marcus Company for posting negatives under a thread with their name. My comments were not directed to their business. I am disappointed that with retirement, and trying to save my whole life, our economy is sick through no fault of my own. I worked hard my whole career and looking forward to sewing and quilting without a deadline of having to have something to wear to work - even that problem is surpassed by those younger trying to financially survive.

I love my country like the salt of the earth. There is no gain to the world for us to lose what we built. Please help me with the message, and pray. All of our people are valuable, the poor and the rich. Although every person cannot have everything, together we can work out an economy that provides the freedom to survive at every level of ability and income with dignity and pride.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:38 AM

That's because the congresspeople allow LOBBYISTS to write the tax laws for the benefit of the factory owner.

That means he (the factory owner) gets terrific tax breaks if he sells his factory to China and gets out of the business.

To Hell with the people who actually make the fabric. The more stuff he can sell and ship to China, the more money he can make for himself.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:46 AM

Thank you for the info!
Old 12-04-2010, 12:02 PM

BTW Moda has not held their prices down. I just received some fabrics from Moda and my prices were up .25/yard from my last shipment of the same fabrics. So, don't believe they are not passing on increases. They passed it on, I just chose not to pass this increase on to my customers.
OzarksGma
Old 12-04-2010, 12:16 PM

$7.50 would be a very low estimate in my opinion. Plus, throw in health insurance and all those other benefits and it's far beyond that amount.