Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-04-2010, 06:24 AM

[quote=wesing]OK, I'm going to jump in. I saw Starlight/Jan's post a while back with her Compac machine and I just loved the look of it. I watch CL and evilbay for several things, so I started watchine for old machines. I found this one on ebay that noone had bid on. I probably paid too much for it, but I love the color, and it looked pristine.

The SN is A468011. There are no scratches, it purrs like a kitten, and it makes a nice stitch. I honestly can't believe it has ever been used. The only bad thing is the case is sort of beat up and it smells.[quote]

I love that machine! The color, the shape, and especially the crome face plate! I just tried to find some information out about the Compac and wasn't very successful. They are from the 1940/50's and made in Japan as Sharon said. I think there is one for sale on E-bay right now, black with a starting bid of $59.

Congratulations on your find!

Nancy
Old 12-04-2010, 06:30 AM

Ok you guys while doing some research trying to find some informatin out about Darren's new Compac I found a really interesting site about machine history.

I didn't save the site, but it is by Harry Bezack, a machine collector. He has over 500 machines - some of the rarest in the world. Anyway, he was talking about his collection and some of the odd machines and has one that was made by Singer in the 1940's, from WW2. This machine was a portable "surgical sewing machine used in the field to stitch wounds."

Billy have you heard of this machine?

So interesting!

Nancy
Old 12-04-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok you guys while doing some research trying to find some informatin out about Darren's new Compac I found a really interesting site about machine history.

I didn't save the site, but it is by Harry Bezack, a machine collector. He has over 500 machines - some of the rarest in the world. Anyway, he was talking about his collection and some of the odd machines and has one that was made by Singer in the 1940's, from WW2. This machine was a portable "surgical sewing machine used in the field to stitch wounds."

So interesting!

Nancy
Harry's collection is wonderful, and he loves to share it. The NC TOGA group tours it each year.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Nancy

So interesting!

Harry's collection is wonderful, and he loves to share it. The NC TOGA group tours it each year.
Hello Miz Johnny, we have missed you!

So something else I found really interesting from Harry Bezack's site: He was talking about the monopoly that the major (I think 4) manufacturers of sewing machines had in the late 1800's. How they grouped all their patents together and sued anyone that made a machine using what they perceived to be their patents, basically keeping competition at a standstill. So companies that were trying to get on the band wagon and make a sewing machine came up with some really innovative designs so they wouldn't be infringing on anyone's patent. There was some sewing machine that had a needle come up from the bottom instead of going down from the top, an upside down machine!

I find this stuff so facinating!

I guess in the late 1800's early 1900's your sewing machine was a symbol of your wealth, so lot's of companies wanted to make sewing machines.

Nancy
Old 12-04-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by gale
can I ask a question here? On my new featherweight the paint is chipped in places. Do I *need* to cover that up with the testor pen (or whatever kind) or is it ok to leave it as is? I prefer to leave it unless it'll start corroding or something.
Gale to cover/touch up or not is up to you. Most of us leave the machines as they were unless they are so bad that they need a make-over. Billy redoes the machines if that is what you want.

Nancy
thanks. I don't want to spend the $$ to ship just for a few scratches. Is there any problem leaving them?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:03 AM

Nancy,
Is this the article?
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/arti...harry-berzack/
Old 12-04-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Yes, this is the article that I was reading! Have you read the article? It is not very long and very interesting.

I would love to see his sewing machine museum.

Nancy
Old 12-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Yes, this is the article that I was reading! Have you read the article? It is not very long and very interesting.

I would love to see his sewing machine museum.

Nancy
Yes, I read the article, and I would love to see his museum too.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:31 PM

This toy sewing machine is so cute!
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/clt/2088542118.html
Old 12-04-2010, 01:33 PM

Make that three. What very interesting machines. This is a very good article. Thank you for sharing Nancy. Kathie