Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases >

What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases

What Marcus Fabrics has to say about price increases

Old 12-04-2010, 08:28 PM

They were talking yesterday on the news about bringing businesses back to the great US so the people that live here can have jobs instead of buying overseas!! But like one comment, it would take a while and we are impatient. Wouldn't that be nice to get the cotton mills back here again and to bnuy from overseas for the unique fabric and buy the majority here!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 10:31 PM

Well, living here in Hong Kong, I can get some fairly decent fabrics, not well known brands for just over $1.00/yd. Needless to say my stash keeps growing. I have been able to make quite a few quilts for family with the things I have bought. I always bring some fabric back from the states to supplement with, but with the luggage charges, that won't be happening much anymore.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:27 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I am not anti profit. That being said . . . GM paid the head hunter one million dollors to head the bankruptcy . To cut jobs and help them move jobs out of Ohio and out of the USA. While many are quick to say GM workers are paid too much remember that the worker bought a home and a GM car based on the paycheck he was promised. Homes in the USA. etc. GM began shipping jobs to Mexico years and years ago and then ventured into Germany, China, Austria and a few smaller countries. The profit for GM higher upper level office never saw a noticable drop. They saw bonuses right through the bankruptcy while workers were permantly laid off. The way of business? yes. A profit? Yes. But does it have to be such a large profit for the few at the top? off my soapbox. My point in short was- profit yes. just not at the expense of the workers who made them profitable
Old 12-05-2010, 05:45 AM

Yes, money not made from wood pulp..

The paper found in dollar bills isn't like the paper in your printer. In one sense, it may not be paper at all. Where most paper is made with wood pulp, the paper found in printed money uses none. Instead, currency paper is mostly made up of cotton and linen, materials more commonly used for making cloth.

Read more: What Type of Paper is Money Printed On? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5409807_ty...#ixzz17FEPwaSF
Old 12-05-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by cherrio
I am not anti profit. That being said . . . GM paid the head hunter one million dollors to head the bankruptcy . To cut jobs and help them move jobs out of Ohio and out of the USA. While many are quick to say GM workers are paid too much remember that the worker bought a home and a GM car based on the paycheck he was promised. Homes in the USA. etc. GM began shipping jobs to Mexico years and years ago and then ventured into Germany, China, Austria and a few smaller countries. The profit for GM higher upper level office never saw a noticable drop. They saw bonuses right through the bankruptcy while workers were permantly laid off. The way of business? yes. A profit? Yes. But does it have to be such a large profit for the few at the top? off my soapbox. My point in short was- profit yes. just not at the expense of the workers who made them profitable
If I had my way, no executive would get any sort of bonus during times of lay-offs. Ironically, I used to work for a small chemical consulting company. When the company went through hard times, the two senior managers went without pay so that their employees could be paid for as long as possible.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:38 AM

I used to work for a sewing factory that had been in our home town since the 1940's.In March of 2002 it moved to Mexico,the reason being, there it cost 2.00 to make a suit coat,and here it cost 20.00.And not only that,when Clinton passed NAFTA ,as long as the pieces were cut out in the USA then sent overseas and put together they could say ''made in the USA"! So don't be so sure when you buy USA that's what your getting
Old 12-05-2010, 07:50 AM

Mostly, cars are 'assembled' in USA. The parts come from Mexico for all makes.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 AM

Texasjunebug.................you are so right!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:11 AM

There might not be a shortage of cotton in Georgia but there are probably no factories to process it any more. How many have been allowed to go down to the point that they are useless. Much less anyone to help pick it. Young people won't work at menial jobs anymore. Doesn't matter if it is south or northwest. out here is is nursery stock now rather than strawberry fields and green bean fields.mostly because there is no one to pick it and it has to be hand picked. Christmas trees are the biggest crops in Oregon this year. top in the nation but it is the Hispanic men and women who pick it but you can bet the next generation won't be in the fields. Then what are we going to do???Like cotton, there are Christmas trees sitting infields because there is no one to cut them down and get them ready for market. Only the big producers have the ability to get workers because they are paying them a fair wage.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 AM

We made suit jacket's.They were cut out at our factory sent to Mexico,sewn together and sent back, all with no import or export taxes and had a label that said "Made in the USA"