Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I use xrays as stiffener for totes? >

Can I use xrays as stiffener for totes?

Can I use xrays as stiffener for totes?

Old 12-04-2010, 02:52 AM

Yes! It works a treat!
:D
Old 12-04-2010, 12:19 PM

I haven't used them for purse stiffeners but they're great for making templates. I got mine from the hospital where I volunteer and apparently they haven't been used other than to have some dark pen markings on them. Will try them for purse bottoms as they're very stable.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome
I would not do it and I have more xray film in storage than most of you will ever see in a lifetime.

Exposed or processed film must be recycled due to the silver and chemical content. This is regulated by the government...state EPA usually. It will melt and will let off toxic fumes...that's why the government regulates the darkrooms.

Dont cut corners like this.
Thanks for pointing this out to the quilting public. I wasn't sure anyone knew there are government rules and regulations on how anyone can dispose of radiographic materials. Just about everything in radiographs are toxic and the chemicals used to develop don't evaporate they just dry on the film. Dangerous thing for anyone to do to save bucks. Not worth the risk. Doctors and hospitals can't even put the film in burning bins and can't put them in regular garbage waste bins because of the toxic content and government regulations. They have to use toxic waste companies to dispose of these materials. This is just not worth the risk to anyones health because you will have to be handling as well as cutting this film material.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:19 AM

What part or parts of the tote bag do you use them for?
Old 12-05-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Marvlin
Originally Posted by seamstome
I would not do it and I have more xray film in storage than most of you will ever see in a lifetime.

Exposed or processed film must be recycled due to the silver and chemical content. This is regulated by the government...state EPA usually. It will melt and will let off toxic fumes...that's why the government regulates the darkrooms.

Dont cut corners like this.
Thanks for pointing this out to the quilting public. I wasn't sure anyone knew there are government rules and regulations on how anyone can dispose of radiographic materials. Just about everything in radiographs are toxic and the chemicals used to develop don't evaporate they just dry on the film. Dangerous thing for anyone to do to save bucks. Not worth the risk. Doctors and hospitals can't even put the film in burning bins and can't put them in regular garbage waste bins because of the toxic content and government regulations. They have to use toxic waste companies to dispose of these materials. This is just not worth the risk to anyones health because you will have to be handling as well as cutting this film material.
Just things like this is why this board is the tops. WHO KNEW!!! :)
Old 07-09-2011, 03:16 AM

I've used them for templates also & it works good.