Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
gravy survey >

gravy survey

gravy survey

Old 12-05-2010, 05:53 AM

I am from the south and my gravy is not to thin and not to thick!!! It is just right... :thumbup: To be honest it doesn't turn out just right every time..it does have a few lumps from time to time :roll:
Old 12-05-2010, 05:54 AM

thick
Old 12-05-2010, 06:03 AM

I'm from Alberta, Canada. We have a product called Robin Hood Easy Blend Flour. This is a finely ground flour. Never gets lumpy. It comes in a shaker can & you can also buy a bag of it & refill the shaker. Simply add water to you drippings & shake in the flour while stirring with a whisk. Never fails.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I like mine thicker -- but not as thick as sausage (cream) gravy. There's a gravy made with ham that's super runny...don't like it! My mother learned her gravy from my grandmothers -- they're all from the south --- she thickens her turkey gravy - as do I. So I think it's a personal preference...OR lack of knowledge how to make GOOD gravy :)
The thin gravy with ham is called Red Eye Gravy, when I lived in Ky we called it Brown Sop (cause you sopped it up with a biscuit) lol. I like my gravy thick enough to stay where I put it. Biscuits and gravy for any meal is a favorite of mine. (just not that healthy for us )
Old 12-05-2010, 06:48 AM

It depends on the type of gravy I am making what I do. For turkey or roast beef gravy, try using corn starch instad of flour. Mix it with a little cold water before you slowly add it to the bubbling broth. Stir constantly until it is well mixed. You can adjust the thickness by the amount of cornstarch you use. If it thickens too much,add a little water or broth,stirring as you add it. This makes a rather clear looking gravy.

For fried chicken or what I call white gravy, stir flour into a little grease in the skillet or pan. I have always used Crisco to fry chicken.(Do not use oil to make gravy.It won't work) Let the mixture brown and stir til smooth. Add milk or water a little at a time til it is the thickness you want.

I followed what my mother did and it has always worked for me.

Lois
Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 AM

Momma was a Southern cook and she cooked her gravy medium to medium thick. She said that if gravy tastes like paste you're either using too much flour or not cooking it long enough. I made lumpy gravy once. I just added a little more liquid to it, strained it through a colander and then cooked it a little longer.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:47 AM

I always thicken mine with a little cornstarch. I seem to remember my grandmother thickened her as well, but my mother prefers hers thin. We are all from Kentucky, but I grew up in Ohio.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 AM

I was born in Illinois and lived there for 16 years, but when we moved to Memphis I really learned how to cook. To make giblets gravy to have with Turkey and Dressing I boil the giblets take them off the bone, boil 2-3 eggs and make sure the broth from the turkey is boiling sometimes I add some chicken broth take some of the boiling broth and put it in a glass measuring cup and add flour slowly use a smal whisk to get all the lumps out I add this to the boiling broth and whisk till it is smooth and no lumps add the eggs that I have cut up and the giblets and cook a little longer the best giblet gravy in town. My family loves it.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:18 AM

I'm from the West Coast and I like mine THICK! I mix my corn starch with a little milk before I add it to the drippings. Yummy.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by grammiepamie
I am 65 and still can't make gravy. It is always lumpy and tastes like wall paper paste. And fudge. Good fudge but you have to drink it. I would love to know how to make good gravy so I could quit buying it.
Bring to rolling boil Pan drippings (plus water or broth to increase amount)
Put 1 or 2 tablespoons of flour into a cup or bowl. Amount of flour depends on volume of drippings.
At the sink, while constantly stirring, slowly add cool water to the flour till it's a 'cream like' mixture.
(if you still have lumps - strain it at this point)
Slowly, while continually whisking, add the flour/water mixture to the boiling pan drippings.
Whisk thoroughly.
Simmer about 5-10 minutes until flour mixture is cooked.
Add more seasoning if needed. If gravy has lumps from drippings, strain before serving.

From the Midwest - gravy is thick and cooked!