Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Besides quilting, what other hobby/craft are you doing? >

Besides quilting, what other hobby/craft are you doing?

Besides quilting, what other hobby/craft are you doing?

Old 12-05-2010, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

I've been doing somecrochet lately for Christmas presents. I bought a sock loom the other day at JAs, always wanted to knit socks!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:08 AM

I have pulled out my knitting needles...attempting (without a pattern, mind you) a stocking cap for a baby, as I am doing a new born baby shoot on Wednesday and don't have one around .... I am a VERY basic knitter, but figure, how hard could it be, it needs to be cute, not functional!!!! lol

I dabble in scrapbooking (read: Collect supplies) and play with jewelry making, and of course, photography is my number 1 love...
Old 12-05-2010, 06:11 AM

I crochet, do a little knitting, tatting, sew, garden and love to cook. Busy hands keep me out of trouble!!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:43 AM

I enjoy needlepoint,reading,gardening,and am thinking about digging out the crochet hooks and getting back into that! Now, where did I put them?
Old 12-05-2010, 07:04 AM

I am knitting and will do a little baking later today.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:51 AM

Anything to keep busy. I make jewelry, sew, scrapbook, crochet a little bit(not that good and I can't read patterns), woodworking. I get lots of stuff to do with the kids to. I just bought the stuff to do mosaic tiles for my oldest daughter and we thought that was fun. The kids have two big bins of craft stuff. I like to keep them busy and doing different things too.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 AM

I knit, quilt, make jewelry, work with PMC (precious metal clay) ,make cold-process soap (4 pounds a week) to give to friends and sell some, volunteer as an RN in South America 3 weeks a year - usually Peru -, read, and make floor quilts/cloths that are really nifty. Instead of sewing the fabric down, I ModgePodge it down into a quilt-like pattern, then Modge Podge it three more times when I like the finished pattern and lastly, polyurethane it three times. The floor cloths take a while BUT they are indestructable for entryways if wet or muddy boots come into the house and your floors and carpets are protected.
As for the RN part, this year I'm going to work with Remote Area Medical in West Virginia. These people are the working poor who can't afford medical care.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:05 AM

I would love to have time to work on a dollhouse. My brother has passed along one that needs assembled and I do have six DGDs who love dollhouses . . . but I have to relate a story.
When our daughter was about six she asked Santa for a set of Hot Wheels for Christmas. She so wanted the racetrack and controls. But, alas, Father and I knew best. We bought her a dollhouse instead. Unassembled, the dollhouse came in a box about the same size as the Hot Wheels racetrack. After Christmas we spent hours putting the dollhouse together but she never showed any attention at all.
Many years later she confessed that she was still hurt that Santa never brought the Hot Wheels . . . so when she was about 20 all she got for Christmas that year was Hot Wheels.
We still have the dollhouse but the GDs have two other ones that aren't so delicate. When they are a bit older, perhaps.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:07 AM

I'm a knitter, too, though not advanced!! I'm getting ideas for fun little baby stuff for my new niece. My fingers are itching to get started. I had lost the urge to knit for about a year as my interest in quilting took over, but it's back! I'm also baking and decorating Christmas cookies and painting Christmas ornaments.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaBrowne
I knit, quilt, make jewelry, work with PMC (precious metal clay) ,make cold-process soap (4 pounds a week) to give to friends and sell some, volunteer as an RN in South America 3 weeks a year - usually Peru -, read, and make floor quilts/cloths that are really nifty. Instead of sewing the fabric down, I ModgePodge it down into a quilt-like pattern, then Modge Podge it three more times when I like the finished pattern and lastly, polyurethane it three times. The floor cloths take a while BUT they are indestructable for entryways if wet or muddy boots come into the house and your floors and carpets are protected.
As for the RN part, this year I'm going to work with Remote Area Medical in West Virginia. These people are the working poor who can't afford medical care.
I really want to try a floor cloth! I saw one in a magazine and have it flagged as a "must try" project.